carb questions on kx - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dirtbike Lounge Hang out and talk two wheels. For Tech and Racing specifically, see those forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

carb questions on kx

hey guys my friend just got a 96 kx125 now this may seem strange but the bike came with the wrong spark plug in it, well with this pipe the bike ran great, but it just fouled too soon, the odd thing was that no adjustment of the air screw would change the way the bike ran, and we played with it and the float level to try to get it to quit rinning rich for quite a while before we thought to change the plug..now we have the right plug i think at least thats what the kawa dealer says but we cant get the bike to run well at all, now it cuts out at high revs, is it possible i got the float too low or what? what should we set the air screw at for a good starting point and do any of you have any carb tuning tips for me i am familiar with 4bangers i ride a klx and have had lotsa xr's and quads, but i am blind when it comes to 2 smokes. soggysod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 11:30 PM
mikrosilakhan

Re: carb questions on kx

chances are by now if youve messed with the float and screws on the carb, its messed. You need to get a manual or take the bike to the dealer and have him set everyhting back to thr right position.Then you have to change the settings with jets. ALl the float does is keep gas at the proper level in the carb. SO yea the floats probably to low. Its almost impossible for us to tell you how to adjust it correclty. It all depends on why exactly the plug fouled.
Is he mixing the gas to the correct mixture? is he riding it like a 4 stroke at low revs?? If hes just putting around on it then you need to adjust the low end jetting with the pilot jet and/or needle. Id suggest getting some pro help before its realy screwed
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

well actually i adj. the float level b/c it was running out the overflow with only the slightest lean of the bike, i just wondered if the air screw you should start at like 2.25 turns from bottom like a 4 popper, he rides it hard it just leans out when it is in the upperend of the powerband, i am fairly proficient at tuning carbs, i just was puzzled at the fact that a diff plug a br as in resistor as opposed to a b plug those are ngk notations by the way could change this bike so much. soggysod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2002, 06:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

1.25-2 turns is the norm. i norm go 1.5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode