Suspension - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dirtbike Lounge Hang out and talk two wheels. For Tech and Racing specifically, see those forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Suspension

While I was racing on sunday I noticed, while I was being passed, some of the fellas flying by me didn't seem to be being beat to death by their bikes. Their actual body wasn't moving around as much as I felt like I was. It looked like a couple guys were actually sitting on their seats while going over some pretty good bumps. The back of my bike seemed like it was bucking all over. I think my front is too soft, in a set of whoops it feels really soft. Might try to up the compression damping. Maybe turn down the compression damping in the rear. I don't know much about suspension setup, so I think my plan is to bring a screw driver out to a set of whoops, and try different things out. Any advice here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 09:31 PM
mikrosilakhan

Re: Suspension

the harder you ride the harder the suspension needs to be. Is your bike a klx liek in your name?? and were the guys passing you on yzf's ect??? that answers your question. You can try stiffning the dampening, it will probably help. Make sur eyou write down were its at now or youll hate yourslef when you screw it all up.
The actual way to get suspended right is to buy new srpings for your body weight. Most bike are sprung for guys that are race weight.. i weigh 190 so when i get on a trail bike its hopless but on my 426 the stock settings are beautifil.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

No, I don't ride the KLX much, I'm on an 02 DRZ E. And your right about writing down the current settings. I'm going to try to stiffen up the front, then play with the back and see how it goes. There is a riding area, Capital State Forest, close to here and a few good straits with decent, water filled, whoops, I'm going to do some testing there, maybe this weekend, if my body is up to it. I think I got a little dehydrated yesterday. Oh, and no, there were no "blue bikes" passing me [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I did pass a couple of them though!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] One guy passed me on a DRZ E, sounded way meaner than mine. Gotta get an aftermarket exhaust, just for the sound alone. On that note though, there is an enduro here this weekend, and the flyer states there will be a sound test. So, I'm going to have to do the homework. The fmf Q is supposed to sound slightly louder when on the gas, but still quiet. We'll see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2002, 01:00 AM
Keyboard Implanted

When you first start "playing" with the adjusters, do it in BIG steps. Go all the way in and then go all the way out. This was you will "feel" what affect the changes made.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2002, 06:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

yea, their ya go, listen to kyron, he's REAL bright, just screw it all up, then if you wreck, u will know your suspension wasn't adjusted right...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2002, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Kyron, I think that sounds right, probably way more noticeable in bigger steps, then refine it little by little. I followed one guy around for a while, he had a decent pace that wasn't criminally fast, he stood on the pegs the entire time, didn't see him sit once, probably 30 minutes or so. We came to a downhill, followed by a steep rocky uphill, baseball sized rocks. There was a guy already down halfway up. The fella I was following headed up towards that hill, I noticed just to the left, on a slightly different angle, was another path, not so worn and with no rocks. I powered up that in 2nd or 3rd, took a quick glance to the right and he had fallen down. Never saw him again. I felt kind of guilty at not stopping to help the guy, I got over it though!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode