Desert Advice - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dirtbike Lounge Hang out and talk two wheels. For Tech and Racing specifically, see those forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2002, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Desert Advice

Fellas, tomorrow (sunday), I'm planning on riding a 100 mile Hare Scrambles in eastern washington, it's called the Desert 100, I'm not sure what the terrain will be like, soft and sandy, or hard and rocky, probably hard/rocky. What should I be thinking about in tire pressure? I'll be leaving later today. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2002, 01:32 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Desert Advice

Well how'd it go?

I like to run 13-15 psi for proctection from the rocks...........
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2002, 08:02 PM
cleartoy

I run 12 in the sand and 14 on hardpack. Hope that helps.

Let us know if your still alive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Yep, I'm still alive. It was quite an experience. I only did two laps that came out to 82 miles. I started on the 3rd lap but didn't get to finish it. The total amount for the classes that had to do 3 laps would have been 112 miles. It kicked my a$$. Oh, who makes good aftermarked plastic??? I'm going to need shroud guards! And a new shift lever. Picked up a new pair of Tech 6's the day before, the metal toe piece on the left boot is all twisted and mangled. Rocks the size of baseballs to bowling balls. Burned in one time so hard, it actually hurt my head. Had to run like 50 feet to the bikes on the start, then start the bikes and take off, right through knee high (whatever all those bushes are called), fell twice in the first 200 meters, I wasn't the only one though. The E came in handy on the start! It's really a good thing they only do this desert thing once a year around here, it's going to take that long for the trauma to wear off. Right after I placed my bike on line and was talking to the guy next to me, I tripped on a bush, fell backwards and kicked the poor guy in the head, he still helped me up though. Rode by some guy that had two other guys helping him, he broke his leg. Lots of bikes parked on the side without riders. It was a good experience. I've never ridden in the desert before. If thats what baja is like, I have a new found respect for those guys. About 30 miles into it, I was thinking "all this for a t-shirt"! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2002, 01:05 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Ahhh the desert...... around here (Phx Az) the terrain is so diffrent from what most people think it would be like..
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2002, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Kyron, I thought you lived in CA, but I see in your bio you list both places. What's the desert like in AZ? I've always had kind of a fantasy to ride a Baja race. But after this past Sunday, well...., lets just say....maybe not! BITD lists a new race later in the year, the Mexico 300 I think it's called. Supposed to be about 160 miles. Might be doable, maybe next year. 160 miles sounds way better than 300 miles!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2002, 03:30 PM
Keyboard Implanted

The desert has every kinda riding you could ask for! (no rain forest and ferns though).... lots of tight singletrack and everything else!!
Northern Az has a lot of big mountain ranges and forests too.
Its not like your flat out across the bonnevile salt flats untill you've used half a tank then you turn around....
Do a road trip and find out!There are ALOT of people who ride here [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2002, 10:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I know you said it's a dry heat so the temp doesn't feel as high as it is, but I'd imagine will full gear, pounding around the single track on the bike, you'd be doing some major sweating? Geez, I'd probably sweat out 10 lbs. just starting the YZ. That wouldn't be a bad thing [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2002, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Wouldn't hurt me either Chubby, I had on way too many clothes, it was cold and windy in the am. Next year, I'll be more prepared. I'll know how to dress, have a Pit area set up for gas, the first time I pulled into the gas/pit area I was told to move on because it was someone elseís area and they were waiting for their riders. Amateur mistake for sure. The riders meeting was at 0930, then we were to go directly to the start which was like a 5 mile ride. At the meeting we were told that if we didn't have our gas at the pit area, we still had like 10 minutes to get it there. I was like "Shi!", so I went to get my gas, left my bike parked right where it was (it was surrounded by other bikes, no way to move it out), went to get my gas, another guy came by and asked me if I knew where the pit area was, turned out his wife was going to drive the gas over so he offered to take mine. I had no idea what it was going to look like over there, never saw my gas can again. Lesson learned! I'm sure it was there...somewhere among the 200 others along the line. Some guy gave me some gas that first time around, I think he just wanted to get rid of me, but he was cool and I offered to pay him, but he declined. With gas prices being what they are today, and him not knowing me from Adam, that says something about him.
So, dress, pit area, suspension set up (I haven't checked/set sag yet), I wanted to break it in first, Itís got probably 200 miles or there about, I think this weekend I'll take a look at that. I'm holding off on the first valve check till about 500, I think that's what the manual recommends.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode