Info please. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dirtbike Lounge Hang out and talk two wheels. For Tech and Racing specifically, see those forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 05:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Info please.

i have a 1982 yamaha xt 250 and it runs like sh*t. I am looking for any information on this bike. I have a feeling i may have to do some adjustments to the cam or the valves, since it wont go over 45-50 mph, it wont wind out after 3rd gear. If you know anything about this, or know a good site for info on this bike reply to this or email me.

Thanks In advance.
Dan*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 08:18 PM
mikrosilakhan

Re: Info please.

also a good bet if its 20 years old it might just be plain wore out.. do a compression check first....... does it smoke?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 11:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

no it doesnt smoke at all, its easy to start, and its a really clean bike for being 20 years old.
There is really nothing to do to the carb i dont think. one thing, there is a cover on the head and i can tell the previous owner had removed the cover since he put it back on upside down. This is also another clue that it may be the valves. I plan to look into the valvetrain but i am not quite sure what to do or what everything should be set at. Does anyone have information on the valves for this motor? if you do it would be greatly appreciated.

Dan*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2002, 08:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Cover on the head upside down?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2002, 11:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

if your valve to tappet/cam clearance is off it will run poorly along with cam timing. get a manual. need more detailed explanation
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2002, 06:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I went out riding today and the power loss seems to come in 4th gear only.
in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, the bike will rev out but once i shift into 4th it just wont open up. Im 170lbs so i dont think weight is a problem. Could it possibly be ignition timing?? i dont know anymore, anyone have ideas.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2002, 02:00 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I heard theres an online micro fische ****e with blow ups of the bike componets and info like valve clearance bolt toruge specs and part numbers,

just like a bike shop would have, that they look at. for alot of there info

Evan
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2002, 03:10 PM

You can try www.powersportspro.com you'll have to register, right now they only diagrams of Hondas and Yamahas. Don't know how many models of each the cover. Good luck.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 09:38 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

There's online microfiche at Troy Racing but just gives part diagram blowups, part numbers and prices. I haven't seen anyplace/anything about giving torque specs which would be nice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode