'84 XR250R - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dirtbike Lounge Hang out and talk two wheels. For Tech and Racing specifically, see those forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2002, 05:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

\'84 XR250R

Hey fella's,

I just got a '84 XR250R last summer (not running) and took the engine apart to find the problem. The problem was a broken barring in the trans. I got a new barring, and all the gaskets I need to finish the job. I'm trying to find the time now to put this bike back togeather and would just like to get an idea of what to expect once it's running again. It looks to be quite the bike. It's in real good shape for being an 84 too. If anyone has a web site about the xr250r please show me the way. I'd love to see some pic's of others. Plus if anyone has any ideas for me now that I'm putting this back togeather (any tricks or tip's??) THanks a bunch.

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2002, 10:12 PM

Re: \'84 XR250R

Can't really comment on what to expect from it. There are some other folks here that ride XR's. You can check out thumpertalk.com they have an XR 250/400 forum. Goodluck with your bike.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2002, 11:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hi. You'll just have to do some searching on the internet. XRs only and Al Bakkers come to mind but maybe they deal mostly with newer XR's. I'm no XR expert, but Honda changed the XR250 engine alot in 1986. Don't get me wrong, but I have heard of several problems with pre 86 XR250 engines, most of which involved the head and or cam. Get your bike together again and I bet you'll like it though. The 4 stroke power will be nice for trail riding and hill climbing. Good luck. Ed. (I ride a 93 XR250R- wish it was lighter and had better suspension, but I like it for most of the riding I do)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2002, 04:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks boys. I'll check out that site too. I have a good parts selection that includes an extra head and cam's, so that's nice to have.
I had a KLR250 not too long ago and had head problems. The honda seems to have a better set up. I went to the honda site and ended up drooling over the new 450. Perhaps I'll be able to buy a new bike soon...(fingies crossed!)

lata
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2002, 05:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i got a 85 xr200r had the same problem with bearings be sure to check your oil pump clearances. pretty much the same engine. im still working on getting the last few parts to finish mine up. i wish iwould of gave up on the bike i had to pass up a few good bikes because i was in to far on my junk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode