98 YZ400F- good trail bike? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dirtbike Lounge Hang out and talk two wheels. For Tech and Racing specifically, see those forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2002, 09:47 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

98 YZ400F- good trail bike?

Found a 98 YZ400F for sale, $2200, sat for a year while his leg healed, he bought it from his cousin, never raced but ridden on track alot. He says its in really good shape. What do you think? Seems like a great deal to me. Questions: how do the YZ400F's start? Do you gotta weigh 350# to kick it over? How is the low end for woods riding? How about gearing, will it chug through the trails and still fly 80 mph or is it like most mxer's, about 60 mph tops? Now a really stupid question: would I like it better than my XR250? Thanks in advance. Ed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2002, 10:37 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 98 YZ400F- good trail bike?

Hey Ed, starting is easy once you know the drill. There's something called the "BK Mod" that you can do to make it start easier too. A flywheel weight, gearing change, and soften the suspension will make it more trail friendly.
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2002, 12:16 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Yes you will like it more than a XR250 AFTER you've done ALL the stuff that Chuby said to do.... but it really is a diffrent type of bike.

In stock form they rev to fast, so a flywheel makes it a way better woods bike

All's I'm sayin is "YEA"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2002, 08:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hmmmm........BK Mod.......Big Kick? Bad Kick? Ba$tard Kick? Anyway, thanks for the input. Another guy is looking at it tonight......If he doesn't take it I get to look at it tomorrow night, but I bet it will be sold. I really want a YZ250F, but I'm going to limit my $ to around $2000 so may have to ride the XR for 2-3 more years. And I would prefer the WR over the YZ for my riding style. I like my XR but when I ride at the track with my son I find the XR suspension really..........lacking. See ya. Ed.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2002, 06:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

yea, xr suspension suckz nutz...it's good for what they made it for...the woods, but you can't get 4 feet in the air w/o it bottoming...

<font color=red>it's ALL good</font color=red>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2002, 07:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey Josh, The XR250 susp is quite a lot better than the XR200 suspension, but it don't compare with an mx'er. I can clear 60' table tops no problem-------not.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2002, 09:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

BK Mod? I don't know, still trying to find that one out myself.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2002, 09:50 AM
Keyboard Implanted

its easy starting i mean, ohhhh but dont do like me, I used to have this big thing about stalling my 125 over table tops with steep lip or kicker lip, I would then just peg it and as soon as the rear touched ground it wo9uld fire up and not miss beat. I did the same thing when I rode a yz426 stalled over table top and landed with the throttle peged and just about went over the bars, it did start though

Ive also been on the yz250fs and and they seem to be more my style, there run like 125, you gota ring the crap out of them.

Evan

trucks suck
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2002, 11:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

yea, i know the xr250 suspension is better, but it's still an xr, it's still an enduro bike, ya know?

<font color=red>it's ALL good</font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode