steering stabilizer?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dirtbike Lounge Hang out and talk two wheels. For Tech and Racing specifically, see those forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2002, 12:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

steering stabilizer??

i broke my damn wrist and my birthday is the 23 so im wondering what i should get. boots ignition cover or a steering stabilizer. by bike is notorious for headshake and i would know. my dealer had the same bike and loved it but said it their nature to have headshake. he had a stabilizer and it was a works preformence and he said it works great. what should i get? r their any stabilizers out their that dont cost like 500$ and work? which is the best? also i have boots but could use some new ones and i typed all of this w/ one finger.

twist n go
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2002, 01:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: steering stabilizer??

Not bad for chicken pecking

I've heard that stabilizers will help with head shake. As far as cost.....I'll have to do some shopping after lunch. I'll post later.

RoosteR
I love the smell of two-stroke in the morning.....
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2002, 01:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

o yes im getting pretty good at this chicken pecking.

twist n go
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2002, 03:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Scott's kits are on sale at http://shop.store.yahoo.com/azmotors...tdamforof.html

RoosteR
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2002, 05:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

are their any other ones that dont cost as much? how about a workes performence? that is what my dealer had and he said it worked wonders/

twist n go
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2002, 05:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sorry xr, but you gotta pay!! They are all pretty pricey little bugggers. Head shake is an annoying problem. What bike is this happening on? Could be minor adjustments causing excessive headshake.

RoosteR
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2002, 06:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

a 96 honda cr250.

twist n go
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2002, 10:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I think you mean Works Enduro Rider (W.E.R.) instead of works performance. There are basically 3 dampers on the market: Scotts, W.E.R., and GPR. Scotts and GPR mount on your handlebar, W.E.R. mounts on the front fender. Scotts offers more adjustability than the other two, but I've never been in a situation where I needed to adjust on the fly. My dad and I both use W.E.R. dampers and they're well worth the money. Once you get it set right, you won't notice the damper going slow, but once your on a straight-away, or really get going, you'll notice an immediate difference. I've heard people say a damper is one of the greatest mods you can do to a bike, and I'm inclined to believe it. I wouldn't say they're essential, but they definately help. If nothing else, the damper will make you much more confident. Scotts is the most expensive of the three. W.E.R. and GPR are close on price, but I've heard GPR offers free rebuilds. The company sites can give you much more info than I can list here.
GPR http://www.gprstabilizers.com/
Scotts http://www.scottsperformance.com/
W.E.R. (U.S. site has moved, can't find new one) http://wereurope.com/ or just call Drew (owner) at (908)637-6385

post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2002, 11:25 PM
cleartoy

Can this mod recdue arm pump? Hand fatigue? I can ride my 99YZ250 for about 5-10 min before i have to stop, due to my fingers and hands being numb!

Thanks for the answers.

-cleartoy
85 xtracab 4x4(FOR SALE)
94 std cab 2wd
99 YZ250
Got sand?

post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2002, 09:18 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

cleartoy -

I had the same problem, but a stabilizer is not the answer. It sounds like you may be crushing the grips a little too hard! I have a '00YZ250, so there isn't much difference in the two machines. You are most likely suffering from CTS, or you simply need to strengthen your hands and wrists.

I would recommend doing some strength training on the hands and wrists, but more importantly, concentrate on not holding on to the bars too tight. I'm guilty of that for about the first ten minutes of the day, then once I relax and get in the zone, I tend to relax my grip and everything is alright.

I tend to think I held on so tight because I scare myself half to death, seeings how I'm such a bad rider!!!
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

RoosteR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode