Buying new KDX220! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dirtbike Lounge Hang out and talk two wheels. For Tech and Racing specifically, see those forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 01:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Buying new KDX220!

I'm trading in my 4 wheeler ('99 Xplorer 400) on a new KDX220 this weekend! Any other owners out there, if so, what do you think of this bike, and any troubles so far? It's a brand new 2001, left over from last years stock. I will use it mainly for trailriding and tight woods in my area from 1200' to 7500' in elevation. What kind of range to a tank to you get, and can you buy a light rack to hold a 1 gallon jerry can? I am planning on replacing the silencer to a lighter aftermarket unit, any ideas on brand, and what changes to jetting do I need to do?
Thanks, Kevin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 10:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Buying new KDX220!

Welcome to the BBS. How's the weather in Castlgar? Pro Moto and SRC make billet aluminum racks I think.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2002, 11:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The weather's been great, for sledding that is! Cold and unusual snowfall for end of Feb! Thanks for the tips on the rack, I'll check them out.
Where in BC are you Chubby?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 08:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm in Campbell River. I didn't think you'd get that much snow so far south? Kootnays must be nice, lots of places to ride I bet.

Steve

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 10:53 AM
adam728

I'd change the pipe and silencer at the same time. The pipe is a dual wall unit, and HEAVY. I had a 96 KDX200 and I swapped over to a Pro Circuit pipe and silencer. The new combo was 11 pounds, save 7 pounds over stock! And the power gain was big, very big. The bikes come so choked from the factory. Most bikes gain a bit from a pipe/silencer, but on mine it was night and day. Throttle responce was improved ten fold.

The factory jetting was so rich that it did not need adjustment. Ran 2 full seasons (raced motocross, lol) on it and never burned it up or anything. Couldn't keep clutches in it though, just ate em alive with the extra power and deep sand tracks I rode.

85 SR5, hey that rhymes!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 02:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Snow you say? It's snowed more in the last half of Feb then all of Jan here! Of course it only started snowing when I decided to trade in my quad! There is less than a foot of snow in town, but still 7 to 15 feet in the mountains. I guess I'll have to ride my sled for a few more months 'til it warms up down here!
I was in Campbell River in Sept. Went with a buddy to pick up a boat from his brother who works in the pulpmill there. Nice city. I guess there are a lot of logging roads there to ride?

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 02:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I like the sounds of the weight savings! Right now I don't think I need the power gain, but after I get used to 2 wheels again, it'll be appreciated. The only drawback to gaining power is the weak driveline parts start popping up!
I think I'll try just the silencer for now and see how it is.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2002, 09:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

When we first moved here a guy at one of the bike shops told me you could ride from one end of the island to the other on logging roads alone.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2002, 02:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I picked up the new 220 today, and tryed it out on the beach of the nearest lake! I want to break it in some before opening it up too much, but from today's ride, I'd say it has lots of power in stock form! Can't wait 'til the weather warms up enough to open her up and see how it really rips! Hmmm, what can I sacrifice to the warm weather gods to melt the snow around here!

post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2002, 03:04 PM
Keyboard Implanted

break it in like your gona ride it

you can probably get 50-60 miles out of tank, my dads 220 has 94 kdx carb on it wich is bigger and flows more anir and fuel, he also has fmf pipe and sprk arrestore, the bike rips, it can just about hang with stok KX 250s (almost) and is great in the tight switch backed trails and open desert, the bike is good every where, we ride in 6-10 thousand foot elevations so Im not realy sure hows yours will be, but like said above it will probably be alittle rich cause its jetted for sea level.
I have ridding quite a few kdx's 200s 220s and older 250s and 200s, I was pleased with them all, if I wasnt inot raceing and stuff like that Id still have one, my riding style was just out of place on trail b ike.

Evan

trucks suck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode