new subscriber- dr350 qustions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dirtbike Lounge Hang out and talk two wheels. For Tech and Racing specifically, see those forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 04:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

new subscriber- dr350 qustions

my neighbor is selling his mid 90's dr350 sometime next month...i don't know much about bikes, work on VW's mostly, i was on the whitebrothers web page looking for kits for the bike...they had piston, cam, full exhaust, air filter, gasket set etc.. kits for around 800$, may have been higher compression, i don't know what the dr is stock..either way, i want 7-10hp upgrade, can anyone recommend a specific kit that i can check out on the web, or does anyone have experience with the dr and mods....cause i don't know anyone that does...i have also never worked on a carborated motor, and would like any jetting advice if possible...
`mike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 09:48 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: new subscriber- dr350 qustions

get a header and muffler from fmf,pro circuit, or any aftermarket company. then you will have to jet one size up or two. high flow airfilter. you can get a cam(all arond or top end-i would recommend all-around) then you will have to get heavy duty valve springs also. that should do it- if you still want more hp get a high comp piston

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 02:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

thanks for the info.....i have a quick exhaust question...why are there silencers available, these bikes need back pressure? i wanted a loud pipe, i live in nyc and need cars around to be aware...can you reccomend a site that dr guys will be on...and a site that has the best prices and parts availability for my bike.
`mike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 05:31 PM

I think there are a few other sites around. As far as the loud pipe thing goes, I understand the law has been cracking down on bikes and actually administering sound tests that if failed, result in a fine. I personally don't have a problem with them, unless it's ridiculous, or unless your riding in front of my house when I'm sleeping, watching a good movie, reading, eating, talking on the phone, or anything else for that matter. There are places where this type of activity is perfectly acceptable, closed course racing and drag strips come to mind. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for freedom, but along with that comes responsibility, if someone is free to annoy me with their un-silenced (I don't know if thatís actually a word) engine, (or that music that young people listen to these days that seems to consist of nothing but the base turned way up) then I should be free to silence that engine/noise. Now.....what was your question again?

95 CB 1000 Vance and Hines exhaust, Works Performance Shocks.
98 KLX 300 (soon to be for sale)
02 DR Z400 E MSR Handguards/BD Skid Plate w/Clutch Guard
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 06:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

brianklx300 what would u do if some1 rode bhy when u were doin any of the things u listed?

WELCOME TO NEW JERSEY PLEASE THROW AWAY YOUR CONSTITUTIONS
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 11:36 AM

Unfortunately xr, I'm not free to silence that noise, so what I'd like to do, doesn't really matter.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 11:57 AM

Mike, maybe I came off a little strong. Don't take it personally, sometimes I just get excessively expressive. Try thumpertalk.com, they have a DRZ forum with the main focus on the 400, dirtrider.net also has a 4 stroke forum which may be of more help to you. Good luck with your new ride. Your bike will probably run better, and you'll make more friends if you put a good silencer on it.

Brian

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2002, 02:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

pretty much any after market pipe is going to be considerbly louder than a stock pipe as long as you do not get a "quiet core" version. i understand your wanting to be "recognized" on the road. but loud pipes dont always mean more power. the only time a open header will ever really benfit you is if you are constantly at high rpms. if you look at the new street bikes they are putting valves in the middle of the exhaust pipe. at low rpms the the pipe is restricted, as the rpms go up the valve opens more and more allowing a free-er(sp) flowing exhaust. take a look at a dyno of a r1, put a full exhaust on it(more flow) and it looses hp and tq down low but gains a good amount up top.

any how back to your question. i would recommend a white brothers e-series pipe, it has discs on the back that regulate exhaust flow. the more dics the more flow. along with this you will have to upgrade your intake(jetting and filter)

you said you know cars rite, especially vw's

imagine putting a 4" cat back exhaust on your car with the cats removed. it would be louder than hell would not give you any real performance gain. now take the same vr6, put on a 2 1/2" mandrel bent system with high flow cat, shrick intake and headers, and shrick cams, neuspeed p-flo

now that would be pretty sweet right!

everything has to be balanced

hope this helped

post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2002, 10:24 AM
Drew K1500

I raced a DR with a Thumper Racing 435cc kit and i loved every minute of it. The thing was so easy to ride. I could actually ride faster on it than i can my Husqy 610. The low point of this bike is the suspension which comes very soft for riding at any speed. I say buy it. Parts are relatively cheap and the thing will run forever as long as you keep the oil changed.

How does it feel to be beaten by a sewing machine?
HUSQVARNA WXC610
Fly Your Flag, Support our Veterans

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode