Flywheel weights? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dirtbike Lounge Hang out and talk two wheels. For Tech and Racing specifically, see those forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2002, 08:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Flywheel weights?

Has anyone out there installed / used a weighted flywheel on a two stroke 250? If so, what did you think?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2002, 12:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Flywheel weights?

There was one on my KDX220 when I bought it. I always rode with it, and loved it. When I got my GG xc250, it didn't have one, but a friend 'donated' a 12 oz. I ran the weight for one race, and took it off. My only problem with it was the loss of off-idle throttle response. For their intended purpose, flywheel weights are great. They make your biker harder to stall, and reduce powerband 'hits'. On the GG, there's no hit to worry about in the first place, and I didn't have much trouble stalling without the weight, so I took it off. I would probably run mine again if I knew I was heading into a mud race, and wanted to have slower power delivery to help with traction. One great thing about a flywheel weight is that you can put it on or take it off in a few seconds, so you can easily change depending on conditions.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2002, 12:38 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2002, 12:38 PM
Keyboard Implanted

What kind of 250?

They make the power easier to control. Its almost like having a better rear tire on some bikes........

All's I'm sayin is "YEA"
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2002, 01:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It would be put on to a 94 YZ 250.

Thanks for your reply.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2002, 01:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for your response.
Exactly how hard are they to put on? I have ridden for years but have never "dug into" the case.
Any advice?

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2002, 10:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

'Exactly how hard are they to put on?' Depends on the brand. My KDX had a Steahly, but as I said before, it was there when I bought it. Just from memory, I think the Steahly bolts to your stock weight, making it simple to change out. Some (Moose, I think) are welded to your stock weight and are not removeable. The GG weight replaces the flywheel nut, and is simple to change. I just take off the flywheel cover, take off the stock nut, install the weight, and replace the cover.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode