New Bars/Steering Damper - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dirtbike Lounge Hang out and talk two wheels. For Tech and Racing specifically, see those forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2002, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

New Bars/Steering Damper

Fellas, I'm considering getting the Scotts Damper/Protaper bars. I'm not sure which bar bend to get, some come in "High" and "Low" settings/bends, I'm guessing (and here's my question), that since I'm kind of short, with not really long arms, I'd be more comfortable with a High bend, which, I think, would bring the bar closer to me. Am I thinking this through right?

95 CB 1000
98 KLX 300
02 DRZ E 400
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2002, 12:49 PM
adam728

Re: New Bars/Steering Damper

You really have to try them out yourself to know for sure. Do you not like the bend of your stock bars? If you do, try and match that as close as possible. I am short (5'8") and I like the low bend bars myself.

85 SR5, hey that rhymes!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2002, 04:24 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I think you might like the low better, other wise your hands will be up to high, like higher than your elbows.

I like my bars so my fore arms are level when I'm sitting on the "tank" in an attack mode....... does that make sence?

Are you going to be able to reuse your barkbusters with the Protpers? Make sure you get the triple clamp mount for the barkbusters with the 'tapers.

late

All's I'm sayin is "YEA"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2002, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

I was wondering the same about the barkbusters and the outside diameter of the protapers. I'm not sure at this point. I saw a wr250 last weekend with the protaper/barkbuster set up, but didn't ask the guy about any special mounting brackets for the barkbusters. I'll have to drop him a line. He hangs out on thumpertalk.

95 CB 1000
98 KLX 300
02 DRZ E 400
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2002, 01:11 PM
Keyboard Implanted

You cant ... the dimater of the bars are diffrent. You will need a diffrent clamp. BUT they sell a mount that mounts it to the triple clamp bolt instead of the bar, that way the bar can still flex.

All's I'm sayin is "YEA"
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2002, 03:43 PM
Alfie

Low and flat for you I think, as you are a little vertically challenged, that way you can stand up and lean over the front. If you have hi bars you will be prone to back sway when standing.(not good)
Also you could consider a thinner seat foam to give you more chance of reaching the ground when the moment arises.
I'm 5'10" and my TTR is lower than your DRZ, but it's still too hi for rugged terrain.
Jus my thoughts.
Alf

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2002, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

I'm still working out the details on exactly what to get, but based on what you and Kyron are saying, I'll go low. In the mean time, I ordered the BD skid plate and clutch cover. Kyron, I remember a while ago you mentioned those magnesium covers were susceptible to damage so I'm going to try some preventive measures here.

95 CB 1000
98 KLX 300
02 DRZ E 400
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2002, 11:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

is this the setup your looking for?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 32-682114-yz400f.jpg (74.2 KB, 28 views)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2002, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

It's close Paul, but what's all that blue stuff? Just kidding, nice bike. If they made them with a button, I'd have maybe gotten a WR. I have several questions for you.

1. Did you get the Scotts triple clamp (hard to tell from the pic)?

2. How was installation, any problems?

3. How did you decide what bar bend to get?

4. It looks like you've got the rubber off the left grip to accept handguards (barkbusters), so, it's my understanding that the inside diameter(the hole in the end), of the bar, (pro taper), is the same size as for other "aluminum" bars, the two piece clamp for the guards needs to be larger, I think moose sells them for like $30. Is that true?

5. Is that stand your using pretty user friendly, does it work well, or do you end up doing the lifting yourself? It looks like you step on the bar and it does the lifting.

Thanks.

95 CB 1000
98 KLX 300
02 DRZ E 400
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2002, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Additionally, is yours the weld on or bolt on model? Thanks.

95 CB 1000
98 KLX 300
02 DRZ E 400
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode