help bike wont run!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Dirtbike Lounge Hang out and talk two wheels. For Tech and Racing specifically, see those forums below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

help bike wont run!!!

here is the deal I got the klx 250 i was asking about, and no problems for a week or so, friday i rode for a few hours easy just in the woods here at the house, saturday, i load up and go to the local ride spot and nothing i end up crankin on this guy for like 3 hours because i refuse to go home without riding!! well bike 1 me 0 so i get home change the plug and after a while get it going. the odd thing is it seems like it may be flooding and i get a rich smell and even a little backfire everynow and again but the plug seems dry when i pull it, so anyway i call the kawa dealer here in town and he goes through the find tdc and crank it routine bla bla bla so i think ok maybe come home and kick it for like an hour to no avail, now the plug and gap im runnin is what they reccomend, and the carb i pulled the bowl and it looks brand new float goes up and down fine and all, also it seems the only way i can maybe get anything is w.o.t. with a kick on tdc. so i have no clue is there a kawa specific problem this sounds like? oh i have a pretty blue spark with the plug outta the bike. please help as i have no cheese this soon after xmas for parts and would love to ride this bike i just forked over all my xmas bounus for. soggysod

if it aint broke, break it so you can learn to fix it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2001, 03:06 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: help bike wont run!!!

.. Hows the filter???

... Is it fouling the plug or not??

... It's not the choke, right?

.. will gas drain out of the over flow tubes if you lean the bike over?

.. the plug cap is good??

.. what is the tire pressure??.... sorry I had too [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

good luck

All's I'm sayin is "YEA"
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2001, 03:05 PM

On my KLX 300, if it's cold, you can't give it any gas. Shortly after I bought it new, I had the same problem. I took the carb apart, cleaned it with carb cleaner and put it back together, still nothing, did this twice. I ended up taking it to the shop, they did the same thing only ran a find wire or something through all the jets. It started, (for the mechanic, second kick). I loaded it up in the truck, took it home, and proceeded to kick the [censored] out of it, and nothing. Needless to say, I was pissed! I took it back and he said he may have put the carb back together wrong, which didn't explain why it started for him the first time, at least....not to me. It ran good after that, till I cleaned the filter next time....and oiled it. Then I couldn't get it to start again. I put another air filter on, I had bought a second as a spare, I didn't oil this one, and the bike started right up. I believe, but could be wrong, that I was putting too much oil (I was using a spray on type of oil) on the filter and it wasn't getting any air, or not enough. I could be full of [censored], but thats what I think, since then I've been careful when oiling the filter and haven't had any problems. I don't know if this helps or not, but good luck. Also, when the bike gets hot and you kill it (this is different than shutting it off on purpose), kick it slowly till you hear a slight cough, return the kicker to the top, as you kick, give it just a little gas, this works almost everytime (on both mine and an old riding buddies KLX 300)(neither he nor I have any kind of compression release). I learned that the easy way ( he told me about it), after spending lots of time trying to restart after falling.

When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2001, 03:06 PM

Also, there is a great forum for KLX riders on dirtrider.net they might be able to help you.

When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2001, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

not the filter, no change with it in or out, plug doesnt foul i think, i put a new one in it, just for the hey of it, but the old one was black but not unusually so, could be the choke i dunno, havent tried the overflow thing i was thinking maybe the float was hangin, so ill try a few things oh tire pressure, 90 lbs front 172.4 in the rear i run pure iradiated helium for speed and tire life.
soggysod

if it aint broke, break it so you can learn to fix it
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2001, 07:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

did u check the valves?

WELCOME TO NEW JERSEY PLEASE THROW AWAY YOUR CONSTUIONS.

P.S. NJ BLOWS
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 12:44 AM
Keyboard Implanted

OK.. I'm a little cornfused.... Will the bike start if you hold it WOT and kick it at TDC??

If the float is "hangin" in the down position fuel will come out of the over flow tubeswith the bike straight up and down. If its stuck in the up position when you lean the bike over NO fuel will come out... get it?

did you do ANYTHING to the bike at all before this??

Dumb but..... is the exhaust plugged?? shove somthing in it and kick the bike over, does it "pop" out??

I'm guessin a vacume leak OR somthin real dumb

All's I'm sayin is "YEA"
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 02:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

rag or towel stuffed in the air boot while air filter was being cleaned?

WELCOME TO NEW JERSEY PLEASE THROW AWAY YOUR CONSTUIONS.

P.S. NJ BLOWS
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2001, 12:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

XRman...just don't say ne more...lol.

<font color=red>I just take a look at a few of my favorite things....and...i don't feel too bad!!</font color=red>
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2001, 01:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Check TWO things. First one is obvious, but I've failed to do this a few times.
1. Is your choke open, or on run?
2. Kawasakis have a hard time starting, specifically the klx300 and all kdx 200 and kdx 220s. This is due to a poorly designed gear ratio design of the starter gear that is affixed to the kick-starter mechanism. I know this because my friend had both a kdx 200 and a klx 300 and he rsearched the heck outta what to do to get his bike to start easier. Turns out that this stock starting gear sucks and there is an after market one that will make life alot easier for ya. ASK your kawa shop about how to get one. Besides,if this still doesn't fix your problem, the new gear will only help you on the trails, anyway.
-Justin C.

1993 Toyota V6 Ext. Cab 4x4, 2' TrailMaster Susp. Lift w/31x10.50 BFG ATs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode