Did the new VW Bug make a name for themselves in the desert races? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Desert Racing For the discussion of all things, Desert Racing in Baja, the American Southwest, Australia and Africa.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2000, 02:47 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Did the new VW Bug make a name for themselves in the desert races?

I have seen the old VW Bug race in Baja. Did you see the new VW there yet?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2000, 11:55 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Did the new VW Bug make a name for themselves in the desert races?

the simplicity of the old beetle allowed it to be easily modified for desert racing. also they are dirt cheap. the new beetle is nothing like the old one. it is front engine, front wheel drive, and expensive so i seriously doubt that it will get raced in the desert in any kind of remotly stock form like te old beetle.

Tom Klippenstein

And you didn't think i could make it through?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2000, 12:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

They do have a Off-road ver of the new Beetle.. Gave it some agressive tires and about a two inch lift.. Saw it on there site and at the auto show... Not sure if the German definition of 'off-road' means the same as the US.. Or else it would have D-60's 4 linked front and rear with 15" of lift running 35" muds...

-Troy <font color=red>'WeaZle' </font color=red> McCarty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2000, 05:38 PM

The problem with the new Beetle is that it's a Jetta in disguise. The other problem is that most of those off-road racing bugs are air cooled and this is water cooled. Plus I think the new Beetle has on overhead cam and that's against the rules for that class.

And they're just too damn cute to get dirty! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

J.R. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
My Web Page
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2002, 06:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I may have seen the one you're talking about (could be a different one, though). Actually, I've seen two. Both were yellow, but one had a checked flag design on a strip toward the bottom.

These two weren't New Beetles. They were obviously VW based, using a rear engine design on a subframe (sandrail, pipe-buggy, whatever you want to call it). A New Beetle body was just attached to each. Look kinda nice to me.

But, we could be talking about two different things. You may have seen an actual New Beetle.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2002, 04:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The new Beetle you're probably referring to is George Seeley's Class 5 bug, which is noted by its yellow paint scheme. The particular yellow he has going now (from what I remember him telling me) is from a 2000 Bug, which he thought to be much more appealing to his taste.

The Checker paint scheme on the lower half of the car (rocker panels), is indicative of his affiliation with the notorious Checker Pit Club. The club provides pit support to car and motorcycle club members.

As other members of this list have stated, George's Bug is highly modified, more a buggy than the original bug that you're used to seeing in the Class 5-1600 and Class 11 Stock Sedans. The Class 5 Seeley runs has a lot more wheel travel, more horsepower and posts two-times better times than the others. Seeley mostly races the SCORE off-road races down south in Baja.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode