Why I hate Toyotas - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Desert Racing For the discussion of all things, Desert Racing in Baja, the American Southwest, Australia and Africa.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2001, 12:19 AM
Drew K1500

Why I hate Toyotas

Not just because im a GM/Nissan fan but have you tried to do a prerunner search lately? All you get back is ads for that crappy Tacoma Prerunner wannabe. I mean come on. Does anyone have any of those good Prerunner sites anymore? And why did Petsmart sell me a fish but not inform me that it would eat all my other fish. They said it was non-aggresssive. Thanks for reading my vent.

How does it feel to be beaten by a sewing machine?
HUSQVARNA WXC610
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2001, 01:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Why I hate Toyotas

As long as we're venting over things we can't control, It's always bothered me that the truggie, which is undeniably a trophy truck with an open wheel body runs in class 1 and the PPI toyota truck, which was obviously a buggie with a truck body ran in the trophy truck class. Seems like the evolutionary roots of the vehicle out to count more than the glass you by or whether you want not to run against your brothers.

George.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 03:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

you may hate toyota, and yes the taco prerunners suck, but how in the hell can you justify being a nissan fan, WTFO?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2001, 09:53 PM
Drew K1500

The old Hardbodys are the most beautiful truck in existence. Check This SOB out .http://www.truckworld.com/Readers-Ri...0800greene.jpg

How does it feel to be beaten by a sewing machine?
HUSQVARNA WXC610
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2001, 06:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The post 1995 1/2 toyotas are definitely pussified versions of the early metal. But have you seen the crap the domestics offer?

That Nissan is a pavement pounder. Chrome rocker panels and a phony blower hat, ugh.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 05:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Interesting criticism on the Tacoma. But Kevin Hutter seems to do just fine using his supercharged 3.4 V6 Taco as a chase truck for his brother's racing team. SAW 2.0 coil-overs can also be swapped in easily up front, and it uses the same rear diff as the Tundra, which, by the way, doesn't come with the electric locker option as the Taco does.

As for prerunner sites, I think the main ones have already been mentioned in the posts above. And don't forget the prerunner mailing list ORC offers.

Take care,

BooRunner (Ed)
[email protected]
http://members.aol.com/equin44484/boorunnerpage.html
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 02:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Out of the box, the taco toyotas have way better power and gas mileage. They also have the locker option and the pricey supercharger option.

Now, to get a taco's suspension to handle large tires, an extracab/V6 and a winch, you need to sell out 800 bucks for Downey's after market coil overs. The lift is gotten by spacer (another 80 bucks) and preloading the spring--not the ideal way. The body and framew has less clearance. A lot of early tacos had bolted cross members, vs. welded for the non-taco models.

Point is, the older models came stock better equipped for offroad, and were easier and/or cheaper to upgrade.

Anecdotal evidence is a friend who traded in his 85 for a 96 taco. We ran the same trail (me in my 88) and he went home with blown front stocks (the non-bilsteins) a grenaded front diff and a front end misalinged that could not be creccted w/o a frame straightening. I suffered no of that, not that we were pushing things.

He eventually traded in it for a dodge 1500.

The guy pre-running with a supercharger in the dirt is asking for problems.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2001, 03:46 PM

Ed has a clue, tacos are the best "out of the box" chase truck out there, I love mine in the Desert. I have chased with Kevin Hutter before and his truck does sweet with Tundra coils up front and that supercharger. No problem going around 90-100+ on the dirt access roads. Kevin can catch a buggy if he is in a hurry! My Taco has stock suspension on 33x10.5 BFG,s and it bottoms out a lot, but it still goes like hell, never busted anything. Does good on the rocks too, it will put a Jeep to shame on some stuff. Don't think I am one sided, I bleed Jeep, the taco is just the vehicle that I can depend on.

John
Got Beach?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-02-2001, 05:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

PetSmart knows fish like Checker knows autos.

History of using my rollbar!
88 Toy 4X4 PU
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2001, 04:45 PM

Bah, the hardbodies weren't the most beautiful truck ever... That's gotta go to the old International KB series. Not exactly what you'd want to build into a desert racer though...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode