5/1600 project - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Desert Racing For the discussion of all things, Desert Racing in Baja, the American Southwest, Australia and Africa.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2000, 09:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

5/1600 project

I am starting a 5/1600 racing bug. Per the SCORE rules, there are various things that "can" be done. I've never raced a VW before - on or off-road - I am looking to build a car that while it may not win its class, will not DNF. Any suggestions (or info and parts sources) as to what works - especially in regards to longevity/reliability would be GREATLY appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2000, 10:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 5/1600 project

Whiterabbit:

Can't tell where you're from but the first thing I'd do in your situation is to talk to somebody like Bob Hummel at Raceready in Chula Vista. He would know parts, Score legal mods, and who might have cars available to start with.

Good Luck.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2000, 10:59 PM

Along the same lines there are a lot of great guys who are already racing and they can give you tips or ideas for what to do... Just going to a contingency alone will give you plenty of insight as to what you might want to do with your bug...

J.R. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

http://members.xoom.com/desertride/index.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2000, 11:39 AM
VORRA#65

It's the most fun you can have with your clothes on!!! I did it from the ground up. Get back to me with any quetions you have. Where are you located? I've sent along a picture of my ride,take a look.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7-279347-Mvc-004s.jpg (37.1 KB, 16 views)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2000, 12:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm currently in SW Florida (and yes I know how to vote). Soon, I hope to be (Probably) in New Mexico. Your ride looks like what I want - any reason for the wide vs narrow light selection for the baja front end? Is there any one or few models, years or styles of bug that are better to start with? Are there any publications still out there that detail front suspension mods (increasing travel and strength)? How about the rear end - strength, travel? Just what is legal in regards to strengthening the transaxle and CV joints in 5/1600? Are those enough for now? Thanks for the reply!

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2000, 01:20 PM
VORRA#65

Rabbit,
I'll try to do this in order-
1) wide vs. narrow- it all depends on whose 1 pc. front end you buy. I bought mine from a Fibrecraft in Reno NV it is a MKIV Fiberglass front end.
2)Your'e going to want King/Link front end and IRS rear.Unfortunately VW never produced a Bug with that setup.
So you either need to start with a 65 or earlier pan and convert the rear to IRS(thats how I did my car). Or use 66 and later and convert the front end to King/Link.This is what you want if you want to go fast in the desert.
3) Publications- There was a Book called Baja Bugs and Buggys, it's and older book but it has the basics-ideas.
Try Amazon.com for this.
4) Rear end-Once you have the IRS going on, you can box in a stock set of rear trailing arms or buy custom tube arms(money) I boxed mine, I run 2 Fox 12in. per side in the rear
about 14" of travel.
5) Trans/Cv's-Everybody pretty much run the type 2 trans or what is refered to as the Bus box. They were produced in a number of different R/P combinations. 5:38/4:86/and 4:57 it all depends on gearing-tires-powerband. It's all up to you.
CV's are either Type2 (bus) or Type4 VW. Or the trick setup is to run 930 Porsche Cv's (you can get much more articulation from these).
Wow! That was a Keyboard full. Send me a Private message with your e-mail that way we don't have to tie up this board with long posts. I'll try to get back to you as soon as possible on your questions. I can scan some pictures in for you maybe.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7-279397-yer3small.jpg (43.7 KB, 11 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode