Where to start?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Desert Racing For the discussion of all things, Desert Racing in Baja, the American Southwest, Australia and Africa.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2000, 07:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Where to start??

I have a 89 Toy X-cab that I want to modify to run desert and dunes. No racing (yet) just for fun and hobby. It has a 4" lift 35's gears and lockers, bu has a 4cyl. Should I swap in a different motor? Where do I look for ideas on rear suspensions? What are good setups front and rear - suspension wise? Any helpful ideas would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2000, 01:34 PM

Re: Where to start??

CADMan,

Pre-runner Toyotas are VERY popular to build. You can have a very good pre-runner, even with a 4 banger motor. Although you'll eventually be craving the bigger horsepower in an engine swap later on in life, the Toy 22RE is a pretty good setup anyway.

The killer setups for Toys involves that you take off your "lift". There are a number of companines which make long travel kits for Toyotas. There's ATS RACING -- the only complaint I've really heard about their product is the welding "look". Doesn't necessarily mean the quality is bad. Then there's Total Chaos' long travel kits, found on BAJA CONCEPTS web site. Have heard many good things about these kits. Too bad I got rid of my '90!

With these kits you can get about 10-12" in real-world wheel travel, and still keep your 4x4. You'll need to buy longer front half-shafts, most likely from a T-100, and would be a good idea to get some Porsche 930 CV joints to eliminate any problems with angles.

In the rear there are many choices as well. Speed costs money -- how fast do you want to spend? If you are not planning on turning this into a racer, bound by rules, then you can either go with better, longer leaf springs from companies like National Spring in El Cajon or Deaver Spring in California. Either are very good companies, Deaver being the less expensive depending on what you get. Or you could go with some sort of three/four link with coil overs, or you can go with swing arms. Sky and wallet are your limit. Most go with the springs though, due to cost and ease of installation.

You can also go to SWAY-A-WAY for thicker torsion bars to help you keep from bottoming out. Their 300M torsions are awesome, just a little rough on the kidneys on the road! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Finally you'll need GOOD shocks. You can go with something like dual Bilstein reservoirs up from (you have to have a shock hoop made which will accept heim ends -- only way to go!) or you can spend the very little extra cash and get some Sway-A-Way or KING SHOCKS. They are both the same concept and design. And you'll only need one per corner!

Hope that helps you out.

J.R. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

http://members.xoom.com/desertride/index.htm
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2000, 03:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

That was extremly helpfull. Thanks alot! If I take off my lift to run a long travel kit. What size tire should I run? To run say 35" will I need glass fenders? What is a good length of rear spring? And is there any sites out there showing setups? Once again thanks for all the help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2000, 11:18 PM

Hey no problem with the help. let's hope I have this all correct...

Personally with a 4 banger and a mini-truck at that, I don't see a need to go over 32" tires. That's just my personal opinion. Having 35"'s on a small truck to me just doesn't seem right, and it's more weight than you really need to carry around.

Check out ATS RACING for some photos on the kits... The Sells family runs the business, Scott races a Toy for a living. Just contact him and let him know your thoughts and he'll tell you what spring lengths and all that he recommends. Just remember this is basically all custom stuff, so it's going to cost some $$$! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

The old addage is "Speed costs money. How fast do you want to spend!?"

J.R. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

http://members.xoom.com/desertride/index.htm
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2000, 07:03 PM
cleartoy

Im planning on going with longer Nationals on my 85 xtracab as well.

For the rear, ive been told to get 62" long springs with alot of arc, to mount them under the axle, chopping out the bumpstop plate, and rubber bumper to acheive 18-19" of travel. Ill be using a bumpstop shock with it as well.

This will require moving the front spring hanger forward, and boxing in the rear frame, hole sawing through it to weld in a shackle mount for the rear, and of course spring perches under the axles.

Good luck.

-cleartoy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode