Straight Axle Desert Racer? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Desert Racing For the discussion of all things, Desert Racing in Baja, the American Southwest, Australia and Africa.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 02:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Straight Axle Desert Racer?

Just out of curiousity, if I were to enter say, my 89 Silverado with a Straight Axle Conversion (no my 89 doesnt have a straight axle....yet) what class would it be allowed to race in? If any?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 02:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Straight Axle Desert Racer?

My first instinct is to say "slow", but since you're just curious I'll avoid being obnoxious. You would likely be in SCORE class 8, which are pretty much full on race trucks. You could not stay in Stock Full because of the modifications and the 4WD classes are shorter wheelbase vehicles.

Realistically, you can't make a straight axle truck go fast enough to be competative in desert racing. Even in the 4WD short wheelbase class (class 3) Kia's beat the old Bronco/Blazer/Scout trucks that venture to enter.

If you're just out to have fun, enter it in the sportsman truck class. Or, consider beefing up the 2WD suspension and race it in the Stock Full class. It would be nice to see a Chevy in the mix there.

Socalquad.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 02:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ok, just wonderin' about that part, who sells beefed up 2WD IFS kits?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2000, 02:37 PM

You have to remember though, Kias are a heck of a lot lighter than the old Bronco, Scouts, and Blazers. It has nothing to do with the staight axle up front and everything to do with a heavier-duty drivetrain, metal bodies, and bigger engines.

Restoring a '74 DJ-5C [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] It runs [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] and drives [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] and delivers mail...well, 2 out of 3 aint bad [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2000, 09:17 PM

Our team competes in BORE and SCORE class 8 and this strait axle Jeep has been kicking rear, he has won all the BORE races this year, not competitive.....hmph. He stays together till the end and that is what counts, our Class 8 ford is faster but it keeps breaking before the Jeep does, bummer.

John
I have the SM465! The SM is for Slow Mover, and the 465 is the wieght in pounds.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2000, 06:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Are you guys trying to bait me? First, it's not all weight, but that is a factor. Second, I have a straight axle bronco myself, and I love it, but I'd be nuts to try to turn it into a racer. Third, the guy was talking about major surgery to get the straight axle on the truck to race it. If you feel you need a straight axle 4X4 to race, start with one. I wouldn't do it thought. You just don't see very many people in the know building straight axle chase or support vehicles any more, much less race vehicles. I can tell you with certainty that Perry McNeil, John Emke, Steve Spirkoff, Craig Stewart, and others here in cali have not build such a vehicle in years. That's because it's just not productive anymore for desert racers to build straight axle racers. It's much more cost effective to build other vehicles.

If you're going to rock crawl, or drive on ramps, by all means get a straight axle under your rig. But if you want to race, go independant.

Live with the disagreement, we're all brothers in arms against the greens.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2000, 08:24 PM

Whoa- you know what I'd really love to see? A dual TTB setup on a Ranger- that would be crazy [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Thats pretty much the only other setup I like besides straight-axle. The rest are just too expensive to make hard-core and reliable.

Restoring a '74 DJ-5C [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Its missing the alternator. At first the Ammeter guage just didn't work but now its missing an alternator [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode