Tires - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Desert Racing For the discussion of all things, Desert Racing in Baja, the American Southwest, Australia and Africa.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2000, 07:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Tires

Do any of you guys have any problems with busting belts in any of your tires? I figured that the desert board would be the best place to ask this question, figuring that you're crusin at high speeds. I have a set of 30" BFG Trail Tires and I busted a belt in one when i hit a bump(curb) going a little too fast. I would like to run BFG MTs next, but i wanted to get your guys input on this.

Get Dirty!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2000, 08:53 PM

Re: Tires

MT's are good tires, IF you don't spend a lot of miles on the freeway. They wear a lot faster...

Otherwise I would recommend All-Terrains. Do I need to mention all BFG? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

J.R. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

http://members.xoom.com/desertride/index.htm
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2000, 06:18 PM

I got a set of Cooper STT's, (basically the same tread pattern as the BFG MT, but supposedly a little louder on the road)... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I like 'em , but haven't got the chance to try and bust 'em up by curb hoppin'... I would guess that virtually any tire you have if it's abused quite like that will bust a belt or something after a while... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Just a thought...

Tim
My June article on ORC
My May article on ORC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2000, 11:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I wasn't so worried about what brand of tire to get, but more along the lines of what kind of tire to get. Is busting belts pretty common when abusing radials? Do bias ply hold up better when abused?

Get Dirty!!!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2000, 12:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I run BFG Muds 31x10.5x15 on my 88' Dual Cab Toy that l use for Pre-Running.
Gets lots of abuse and have had no problems so far.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2000, 09:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had the same experience a few times untill I switched over to BF Goodrich All Terrains, they are very good in both mud and dirt, another good choice would be a set of Mickey Thompson T/A's.

Got Tecates?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2000, 12:18 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

What to beat the urban deserts with...

Here are the goods:
BFG AT ko's. These tires have the new TriWall Sidewall technology, where most tires have either 1 ply or 2 plys for durability, these tires possess 3.

If you want superior protection you should try the BFG Baja Tire. This beast has about 7 plys of sidewall. It weighs a lot more but that will stand up to boulders made up of spike, even if you hit it at 55 mph it will probably just bend a little. Those things are incredible.

The problem with the Mud Terrains are that they are not TriWall, they either have 1 or 2 plys (not sure which one) The Mickey Thompson's have three, like the BFG AT ko's, but cost more and do not make more of a difference.

For your best bet, since you aren't doing serious desert running and are looking for a good, strong, commercial tire you should go with the BFG All Terrain KO pattern. Make sure it has the TriWall ply sidewalls. I hoped I helped you out a little. peace and...

...Happy PreRunning.

Matt Comer

<< snoman13 >>

It's not the size of your truck, it's the size of your shocks.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2000, 10:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: What to beat the urban deserts with...

I know tex and sandman always support coopers, i have have no doubt that they are great tires, but i have had wonderful luck with the BFG support. everytime i email them, i get a call the very next day. I went to one of there dealers and he searched his ass off to find one discontinued tire for me. I requested a decal and they send three (one of the huge banner ones). So that's why i will always run bfgs, they won me over.

Get Dirty!!!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2000, 06:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: What to beat the urban deserts with...

I have to correct you snoman13,
According to BFG (Web site and on tire) their Muds are the TriWall, ie three Ply side. Most other brand Muds are 2Ply.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode