First Time Racer - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Desert Racing For the discussion of all things, Desert Racing in Baja, the American Southwest, Australia and Africa.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2000, 10:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

First Time Racer

Here's my question, I have saved enough money to get me a decent race car to race it only in Baja races, I have enough to get me a nive A-arm class 1 buggie, the deal is that since I'm not going to be doing this for money, just for the fun of it, I'm not sure if it's worth it to buy an expensive race car, I really like class 1 and class 10 because of the suspensions allowed in this clases, I also like class 5 and I thing this will be a good choice also...I would like the advice of the experienced to help me make the decition...

Thank you...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2000, 11:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: First Time Racer

Im in the same boat er...buggy.. I love the A-arm style suspention and have seen rolling chassi for 6 to 15 K(no motor).. I don't really want a 35K SCAT motor in this thing.. Im not going that fast but I would like the suspention..Couldn't we just get a nice trans geard the way you want then run a basicaly stock V-6 from a Yota or chevy?? Or evin a 4 cyl.. I hear people running Fiat motors and rotaries.. Open up the in-n-out and desmog it.. Would this work for a reliable and have a $hit-load-O-fun vehicle that if I felt like it (and found enough friends at one time) go race and be in a class thats not full modified like class 1??

-Troy <font color=red>'WeaZle' </font color=red> McCarty
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2000, 12:22 PM

Class 1 unlimited is a VERY competitive class. Basically the rule of thumb is if you have a sh*i load of money, you can have the best car out there. Driver skill is the only thing holding you back!

Personally I would go with a Class 10 car, or maybe even the "Score Lite" Class 12. They have a competitive field and driver talent has a lot to do with winning, which for me translates into a lot of fun.

If you're not in it for the points, 10, 12 or 5 should do just fine for you!

By the way, I can't tell you if my opinion is "experienced" or not. I work checkpoints for SCORE as a volunteer, but have seen plenty of the action going on with these vehicles...

J.R. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
&lt;a href="http://members.xoom.com/desertride/index.htm"&gt;My Web Page&lt;/a&gt;
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2000, 08:03 PM
Keyboard Implanted

hey weazle, if you are interested in seeing teh differnt kinds of engines you can bolt to a vw type tranny take a look here: http://www.kennedyeng.com/
http://www.chenowth.com is a neat one too. i have one of their old buggys built for the army in 1982

Tom Klippenstein

And you didn't think i could make it through?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2000, 08:55 PM

Have you considered a 12 car? They run pretty good, not shure about the price. Personally I am all Heavy Metal! Class 8 all the way. Much easier on the body too if you are an old feller.

John
yes, my user name is a typo, go figure.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2000, 08:57 PM

I have a friend who chases for Dave Westhem's Class 8 racer and, while I can sympathize with the elevated levels of testosterone it creates [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img], the cost is pretty much insane!

12 cars are just as good as the 10 car, just a little less suspension and motor... But they are still pretty damn fast!

J.R. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
&lt;a href="http://members.xoom.com/desertride/index.htm"&gt;My Web Page&lt;/a&gt;
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2000, 04:07 PM
pjc

TAZ,

You're in luck!

I know of an outstanding Lothringer, 2-seat Class 1 car forsale.

It's at Kent's shop. Here's the scoop.

1) Fuel Injected Porsche 6 (very low hours)
2) Fortin (small case) tranny (low hours)
3) Fox bypass shocks
4) A-Arm front suspension

I considered this car myself but, it's too much to deal with, with my limited time available away from business this year.

I think you could have this car for around $30-40k. This is a steal!

Kent is in the 909 area code. Lothringer Engineering.

Patrick J. Chicas

Rubicon Media Group, Inc. - Off-Road.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode