What all does it take to run the Baja 1000??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Desert Racing For the discussion of all things, Desert Racing in Baja, the American Southwest, Australia and Africa.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 01:06 PM
CGA03

What all does it take to run the Baja 1000???

I'm thinking about building a truck to run the Baja 1000. I just want some experienced guys to give me some feed back on it. The only thing that I really know is I want to run a dodge truck if I can. Thanks.

Clinton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 07:39 PM
I am in the CPU

Clinton,

Where do you live?

You are going to need to get a copy of the SCORE rulebook. I think they are $25. You are probaly looking at stock full or a class 8.

I think the KORE guys built and raced one in stock full the last couple years. Although I am not sure they finished....

Here is their truck at this years laughlin event:

2007 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT Mega Cab

Last edited by dwaters; 02-28-2007 at 07:42 PM.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 08:08 PM
I am in the CPU

Here is another one from laughlin:

And from the 2006 Baja 1000:

Last edited by dwaters; 02-28-2007 at 08:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 12:30 AM
CGA03

Ya the rule book was deffinately on my list. Ya I thought I heard those guys did pretty good???? Just curious on what kind of power some of the trucks had and what type of transmission would be best(auto/stick)??? It will be a diesel of course. Oh and I'm in MI. I'm just trying to see if I can even do this on a working mans budget and it would deffinately take a few years for everything to get all lined up. I really want to do this so thanks for any info.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 10:50 AM
I am in the CPU

Talking

Do you have a seperate truck you are going to use for this? Your not going to try and use your daily driver are you?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 11:34 PM
CGA03

Part of my plan is to buy a 96-98 dodge ram and build it to run in the Baja. I would like to keep it somewhat streetable. I don't want this to be a full blown several hundred thousand dollar truck. I guess my goal right now is to spend around 30K, including the truck.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 10:22 AM
DoDaBaha

The Dream

I also share the dream of running the Baja and have spent some time researching on how to make it happen. One conclusion I have come to is the cost of the vehicle is only the down payment. In your class you could easily spend 30 k in spare parts and support and prep for the big one. Also the time it takes to do everything you need to do comes out of your earning time. Going to as many offroad races as you can get to,talking to the guys doing what you want to do, taking pictures and seeing the entire set up of the teams that are making it work is a real eye opener. For a low buget the M/C and ATV classes are a possibility. Sharing costs with partners can get you in but you have to have an agreement that works for all. Bottom line is it costs alot to get in the race, more to have a chance at finishing , and alot more to be competative. Good luck can help the low buget guys and bad luck can kill the all out big buck operation. If we can get some input on bugets from the real racers it would be really valuable but they tend to ignore these types of posts. A disscussion on the realities would really help all of us with the dream.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 11:33 AM
CGA03

Ya I know, I was going to try to get some sponsors and stuff, or at least try to. I posted this on another web site, TheDieselStop.Com - www.thedieselstop.com and one of the guys said two of the people he know don't have less than 200K invested, but that is a full blown buggy and a prerunner truck. These people have the full team and lots of cash.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 01:20 PM
Apprentice

I race in class 7: FiberwerX Offroad Fiberglass Fenders and Bed Sides

The guys that built the KORE truck drove from their shop in LA to Ensenada for the 2005 Baja 1000 (I am pretty sure it was that year) one their class and drove it home.

The doge is a great platform to build a offroad worthy street legal vehicle.

I would get a communication line going with KORE: KORE LLC - Dodge RAM Suspension - Dodge Lift Kits

I think $30,000 is sufficient to build a Baja worthy stock based truck. You would also need to have a number of spare parts on hand to replace problematic parts that will likely go out after any kind of offroad race scenario.

The money to test prerun and then race will likely run around 10-15 Gs on any race weekend no matter the class you end up in. This applies to anything from a class 11 baja bug to a $100,000 class 10 buggy. (obviously a TT or class 1 would be double)

It is an expensive sport and an even more expensive hobby. Offroad is all about the challenge just to make it to the finish line. A truck similar to KOREs can get you there.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 11:46 PM
CGA03

Awesome man, thats what I wanted to hear. Thanks

The truck that I want to build is a 96 to 98 Dodge 2500.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode