HELP..... I want to go racing - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Desert Racing For the discussion of all things, Desert Racing in Baja, the American Southwest, Australia and Africa.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2004, 09:25 AM
packrat

HELP..... I want to go racing

I have always wanted to go play in the sand. I figure now is the time to do so.
????????????HOW DO I GET STARTED???????????????
I have saved up a little money, I have a couple Toyota 4x4 chasis (solid front axle chasis and an IFS chasis) to play with.
I don't know which one would be better to use. I don't know where to look for required items like rules and regs, safety cages, Fire suits, performance items, on and on and on.
Is there one place to look or a couple places? All the help I can get will be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2004, 10:29 AM

Re: HELP..... I want to go racing

Unfortunately there is not one place...

But the first thing you have to decide is what kind of race you want to run. Keep saving that money!!!

Personally I would start working with the IFS. Now what class do you want to run? Fully open mini-trucks or mostly stock with safety and minor strenght mods (stock basically)?

Check out the promoter you want to run with. SCORE, MORE, BITD, all the others. Once you choose one that better suits your needs you can get a rule book from them to tell you what the requirements are for your vehicle and safety equipment.

Second, go to these races and see what other people are doing with their vehicles. If you find some racers with the time to talk with you, you'll probably get a treasure trove of information to get you on your way! There are some really nice guys in the sport, and some not-so-nice ones, but luckily the nice outweigh the not-so-nice!

Hope that helps you get started!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2004, 06:12 PM
packrat

I have been hearing that IFS is the way to go. Thanks for the rest of the intel.
I guess it is time to "go to the races"..............as a spectator ..............for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 12:27 PM

Check out the JeepSpeed Class. An excellent class to get started in. We are looking at building a JeepSpeed.

JeepSpeed

[img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 11:20 AM
packrat

[ QUOTE ]
Check out the JeepSpeed Class. An excellent class to get started in. We are looking at building a JeepSpeed.

JeepSpeed

[img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry it took so long to respond. Holidays and all.
Unfortunatly I don't have a Jeep to race.

As for the yota 4x4. I want to race it. But..........
WHERE CAN I GET A ROLE CAGE?
I have looked on the internet for one and can not find it. I see them in race trucks in the magazines and on web sights but can not find one to buy.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 08:25 AM

Something like a roll cage for a race vehicle is going to have to be built, not necessarily bought. You can always farm it out to a dedicated fab shop with racing experience, but with racing rules, and peace of mind at high speed you're going to need more than something that just drops into the cab!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode