where to start? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Desert Racing For the discussion of all things, Desert Racing in Baja, the American Southwest, Australia and Africa.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2003, 01:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

where to start?

I was wondering which desert race would be the best to pre-run. I just got a new pre-runner and I want to see what it is capable of so, if you have ever pre-ran any of the races let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2003, 05:55 PM

Re: where to start?

Well, seeing as how you list La Mesa as your location, I would say do your shakedown first at some place like Ocotillo Wells before you start moving on to remote race courses!

Then there's always the Baja courses, but PLEASE make sure you bring a friend or 12 just in case.

Barstow might be a good place to check out, but I don't know how that works out during non-race events. I think that Stoddard Wells is a testing ground for a few race teams, but not sure who or exactly where (if you remember, I think that the MacPherson team got into some serious trouble and tragedy when they hit another racer during testing out in that area).

Gotta remember as well that there are a lot of racers pre-run the courses in regular ol' 4x4's. Better than getting stuck out in the middle of nowhere without your full support.

Anyway, hope that helps.

Another resource for a pre-runner is PreRunner dot Net
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2003, 07:24 PM

OCOTILLO WELLS is a great place. drove it in my friends ranger. great place to learn how your trucks feels in any situation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2003, 12:15 AM
BlueCoyote

MDR is setting up the 300 course on Sept 20th. Good place to check things out. Suggest not going alone- even new truck can break. And the word prerunner on the bed side does not mean it is set up for hard core stuff. Go slow at first, learn your truck. The art to pre-running is not going fast, it is being able to save the equipment to get to the race truck.
BC
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2003, 12:09 PM

sounds kool. I think im going to have to check it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode