Speed - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
BBS Changes - General Discussion Please discuss topics related to System upgrades and changes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2001, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

Speed

Only real problem I am having with the BBS is the speed. I have DSL and when when I come to the site sometimes it's speedy just like everything else, then 3/4 of the time it takes 5 minutes to load a simple text based page. It didn't used to do this. Is it just because of the growing popularity?

Jason
Big Willy Style
www.projectbigwilly.com
[image]http://bbs.off-road.com/wwwthreads_uploads/53-590231-sigpic2.jpg[/image]
http://usor.topcities.com<---Rezzy Joe

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2001, 07:44 PM

Re: Speed

Jason, I"m on T-3 ethernet and i haev teh same problem. about half the time it takes minutes to download. at other times i click and the screan appears. i don;t haev an explaination. i mean it isn;t terrible or anything, but sometimes on rough days it does get annoying.
---Peacock

<font color=red>96 Z-71 EXTcab, richmond 3.73, detroit rear, cold air, dual flowmasters, new drive-train </font color=red>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2001, 09:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I can never figure out why this site hangs when trying to load the page clicked on. I have never read an explanation that satisfied me either.

Why isn't this board faster like POR or 4x4wire or even Cascade Crawlers? It seems as though there is some inherent flaw in the program that can never be fixed without a complete redo.

Glenn

1989 Toyota 4x4, etc, etc, blah, blah, blah....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2001, 09:42 PM
Mud in my Veins

All I can say is that I've been here since this BBS software was setup and it DID NOT use to be slow at all. The problem is simple. There are too many users for the processing power available. A more efficient BBS software would help but at some point you end up with the same problem. When you consider the traffic on the busier boards coupled with people uploading pictures and searching the archives, there is a lot of processing to be done. Unless this thing has a huge drive array, I would think the drives would be getting kinda full from all these images too. The text isn't big, but there have been lots of images uploaded here. It's not a bandwidth problem, which is obvious because posting is equally slow on a T3 or 56k. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isnt POR a fairly new venture? If so, think about how much faster computers are now compared to when this one was setup in late 99. They could've upgraded the ORC BBS but I doubt it because it doesnt generate any significant income for them. POR also runs some type of PHP script system, which I'm sure is faster. I'm certainly not going to complain (since it's free) but this PHP stuff sounds good.

Your Toy is loaded huh? Does it have Power Engine?

<A HREF="http://www.arkansasmud.com/" target="_new">
ArkansasMud.com</A>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2001, 02:29 PM

Yeah, I'll agree with that. Speed is my only complaint about the current BBS. I love this place, but sometimes it takes two-three minutes to load a page, over either my DSL at home, or LAN at work. (Got a gigabit backbone there, defintily not our connection! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img])

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2001, 06:03 PM
Mud in my Veins

BTW, i was wrong in saying that php would necessarily be faster than the current setup. i only meant that maybe new software could be written to withstand the massive amount of users that are here now, in php if it's easier. i dont know if that would make a difference or not. i still dont know what the real problem is anyway, the hardware sounds substantial enough.

S H O U L D A G O T T A F O R D!

www.ArkansasMud.com
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2001, 07:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Whoa, i have 56k modem, and it doesn't even take that long, lol.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-25-2001, 06:20 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

On a particular day when this BBS bogged way down in speed I clicked on the Who`s Online button and there were only like 16 people on line . Maybe half posting , uploading ??? The others just reading ?? Seems a bit weird that a dual P3 setup would bog from only that many users . And I wonder how much they are making off the advertisers . They are not nobodies , Chevy , Visa , Ford etc...

<font color=black>Jeff [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] </font color=black>
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 11:49 PM
Mud in my Veins

good point. i just looked and there are about 20 people active, but some people might be invisible if they have that option enabled. dunno what the problem is, Patrick or somebody at ORC is going to be the only one that can figure it out, since they can get in there and see what's eating cpu, memory, or disk access. new software would more than likely fix the speed problem but it can probably be fixed through an easier method than that.

www.ArkansasMud.com
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2001, 11:54 PM
Mud in my Veins

i just had a thought. what method does WWWTHREADS use to authenticate user names and passwords when posting? maybe the problem is that every time somebody posts and maybe just reads, the server has to search through the huge PW db and verify their password. i'm not sure how this is done but if it's done on every action then i could see how that would add up. maybe whomever suggested deleting inactive users had an excellent idea, which wouldn't be a bad idea for "good housekeeping" anyway.

www.ArkansasMud.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode