My Ideas - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
BBS Changes - General Discussion Please discuss topics related to System upgrades and changes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2001, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
pjc

My Ideas

We have two unwieldy venues on ORC, the BBS which has outgrown the capabilities of the application to handle traffic and the gaggle of mail lists where an outstanding amount of information is shared yet, is inaccessible to many of our readers.

My aim is to combine all our mail lists with the BBS system so that reader can correspond in the same venue via email or a web based, BBS forum.

At this point, I am hereby opening this topic for discussion.

I will do my best to check the conference regularly to answer your message, questions and comments as needed.

Thanks

PJC

Patrick J. Chicas

Rubicon Media Group, Inc. - Off-Road.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2001, 11:51 PM
jeepfiend

Re: My Ideas

I like the BBS format, with all the responses open for everyone to see and respond. I am not that familiar with all the ins and outs of the internet, but if we were using email in lieu of the BBS, would all the responses be able to be shared and viewed as they are now? I like the way the posts are listed now. Is the problem with the amount of information, or the amount of traffic? What if old posts were archived in a format that did not allow responses, but still allowed the information to be viewed? I would not object to responding to posts by email, as long as multiple email addresses per user could be supported (I currently float between three addresses), and the posted information could be viewed much as it is now. Oh, and I think that all the user names need to be maintained in the switch. I know that there are guys including myself that like the user names we have, and it would be a shame to lose it in a transition (I am sure there are some who use the user name more than their real name).

Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend
All my Jeeps are in pieces! Except for one!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2001, 12:00 AM
Mud in my Veins

Re: Your Ideas ...and mine.

If traffic is the problem, reduce it by splitting the BBS, but link all the splits so as to make the separations as invisible as possible.

I'm using only the BBS and I'm not complaining about missing out on the e-mail side - are the e-mailers complaining? Why combine? It would only increase traffic again. Anyone who can type an e-mail & get online to send it can go to the BBS & type it. If you want to combine the 2 venues, drop the e-mail lists & tell those users to go to the BBS.

I notice part of your motivation for the change is that you've been merged with a rival - my idea is that you get over it and don't mess up the BBS just to get away from him. Otherwise, you might find many of your users switching to your rival... Try making a happy merge that better serves YOUR users AND his.

My biggest concern is that NONE of the BBS content be lost in whatever change takes place, if any significant change is even necessary. I would be very disappointed to lose access to any of the old posts, since some of those users are gone & that's the only way we'd have access to their experience.

The changes I'd like include:
- being able to search between 2 dates instead of back to one date;
- being able to edit the post icon in addition to all other fields;
- being able to use post icons (trophy, exclamation, etc.) as markup in posts;
- being able to add new post icons;
- being able to store larger pictures (that one's not really a big deal since large pics can be linked in);
- being able to customize the layout of the BBS pages;

Creating this forum demonstrates that you're keeping your users' concerns in mind - keep it up. !-)

Steve83
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2001, 01:30 AM

posting i nthreads is a definate plus. i and a lot of my friends from the GM full-sized reply to e-mails i nthe BBS so others can see and gain knowledge. the BBs is an invaluable too for solving problems quickly and effectively.
---Peacock

[image]http://bbs.off-road.com/wwwthreads_uploads/18-562349-USig.jpg[/image][red]96 Z-71 EXTcab, richmond 3.73, detroit rear, cold air, dual flowmasters, new drive-train [/red]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2001, 03:35 AM

I use the BBS side much more than the email. I also like that everyone can view the information shared. It makes it feel more like a community. If I want to communciate privately thats what send private message is for.

Mike
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2001, 04:15 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Keep the BBS, us Jeepster guys need to read all the way through a problem until it's fixed.
One change that I would like to see would be a better way to search for specific titles. Maybe an archival system?

Richard Queen
PROUD! citizen of the United States of America!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2001, 08:53 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Eliminate signature lines!!!

I would like to see the elimination of the signature line from posts. There are many people who list their vehicle specs. in their signature line. This always confuses the search engine. If I did a search for "Dana 44" I would get hundreds of irrelevant responses. The signature lines also increase the length of every post taking up more space. If there is a way to display one of the fields from a user's profile every time they post that could be included in the header. However, I don't see a need for it. All the vehicle information should be stored in the user's profile. You could lengthen some of the fields in the profile to hold more information. I am sure that the profiles would still take up less space than the sig lines in every post.

Thanks,
Tom

http://home.off-road.com/~tom85cj7/h...Web[/show]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2001, 09:34 AM
Just Plain Need A Life

We are combining email lists and BBS forumns because they are similar in nature, i.e. common threads and information shared. It's also the wave of the future and we want to ride it.

For images, download the image optimizer at www.xat.com . I recommend it highly. You'll be able to crunch the image sizes down and retain quality at the same time.

We originally chose this BBS software because of the feature track. That track has now been derailed. The most important feature in limbo was the email list integration. Also, this is not our rival but a rival of the original software developer. We fully realize that even the smallest change may alienate some of our BBS readers. We can't help that.

At minimum, all of the existing BBS content would be archived and accessible in the same venue you see today. You just wouldn't be able to post.

The rest of your suggestions are good however, I am not too focused on allowing folks to add icons or BBS skins.

Thanks

PJC

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2001, 09:36 AM
Just Plain Need A Life

Hi Richard,

The BBS will always be retained, you will just be able to correspond via email as well as the web interface.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2001, 09:39 AM
Just Plain Need A Life

Re: My Ideas

Yes, the messages posted via email would be available via the web interface and like in kind.

All of our email lists today require that you post messages from the email address you subscribe under. Without this feature, SPAM would be a serious problem. We'll carry this same rule into the new software. I will check to see if you can have more than one address.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode