Board slow the past few days - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
BBS Changes - General Discussion Please discuss topics related to System upgrades and changes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2002, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Board slow the past few days

Well, now that most everyone has found their way back here, the board is no better than it was in terms of speed. On my DSL line, it takes 30secs. just to list the topics in the SWB forum. I really don't believe that compliling the pages on the fly is the real reason. Plenty of other boards have dozens of times more users, and they go almost instantaneously. I would have your bandwidth evaluated and see if you're filling the pipe so much that it cannot handle traffic. Even after clicking on a post it takes at least 20secs. to load the thread.

This is getting back to the same old problems as before the upgrade. At this point, I'll pay $5 a year to subscribe to the board so you guys can purchase better servers and get more bandwidth. A lot of others are right behind me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2002, 06:28 AM
Just Plain Need A Life

Re: Board slow the past few days

I just tried it and it came up almost instantly.
What time of day did you try it?

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2002, 06:33 AM Thread Starter

Well, sure if you try it when no one is on it it will load fast. But 99% of us are on here during the day and evening, so that's when it is slow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2002, 08:35 AM
Just Plain Need A Life

I take exception on your choice of words. You are basically saying that I am a liar and that sucks.

You will probably see that the other boards you visit do not have nearly the message count in each forum and they do not compile a number of new threads and messages.

Past that, we made some SQL changes last night and we are monitoring the performance constantly. The next step is to separate the SQL backend to a different server.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2002, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Maybe I caught you before you had your morning coffee. In no way did I call you a liar, nor do I appreciate you implying that I did.

All I said was that there is a serious traffic problem here, and the new board has done NOTHING to improve it.

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

You will probably see that the other boards you visit do not have nearly the message count in each forum

<hr></blockquote>
True, but there are plenty of boards that have triple the message count and users and load faster.

they do not compile a number of new threads and messages.

<hr></blockquote>No one really cares to check out how many new threads there are! We would rather the board be faster without some of the bells and whistles. We just want to read and reply. We can see new messages when we visit the forums.

The next step is to separate the SQL backend to a different server.

<hr></blockquote>
That should have been your first step. Anyone who knows jack about client/server technology can tell you that the current setup is like using an Atari to run Windows 2000. I've designed AND built SQL servers that archive medical images and records. One query is about 16MB data, at the least. Now multiply that by thousands of patients and hundreds of doctors using the system every second. The whole thing runs on a single processer server with W2K Advanced Server and MSSQL. I can run a query from across the country and have half the response time of this board. All this board is doing is spitting out text and occasional images.

If I may ask, what's your backbone, and how fast is the internal network at your server farm?

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2002, 01:42 PM
Official Historian

It took me 35 seconds from the time I clicked reply to the time the reply window came up on this thread. This is at 2:38 EST. I am also on a DSL connection.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2002, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Almost 40 seconds here. I'm on DSL too! See what I mean?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2002, 02:28 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I'm on AOL dial up and at 2:22pm CDT it came up in 5 secs. which is a rather rare occasion.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2002, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

That is pretty unusual, especially considering you're using AOHell.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2002, 07:22 PM
Just Plain Need A Life

An Atari to run Windows? Not so.. It's a 1.8gb Anthalon with 2gb of RAM and RAID disks.

And no, splitting the servers is not the *first* think we should have done.

Also, I will not disable a feature on you call alone.

Lastly, I don't drink coffee and I think you have a real problem on how you approach issues. Let's look at this again.

1) I compiled the bulletin at the top, talking about page compiles. You may have noticed that if you "log out", the pages will stop providing readership data after which the system will load lightening fast.

2) You said "I really don't believe that compliling the pages on the fly is the real reason."

Clearly, you are saying that I am a liar on my statement mentioned in #1 above. You ellude that there are other reason why the app is slow at times.

In a subsequent message you present a condescending tone as you tell me all about your vast DB experience.

Seriously, I don't need this and I doubt anyone else appreciates your approach. Consider rethinking your way you act in the next message.

Thanks
Patrick J. Chicas
Off-Road.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode