Anitmated graphics - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
BBS Changes - General Discussion Please discuss topics related to System upgrades and changes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2002, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Anitmated graphics

Elimating the signature pics has reduced a lot of clutter, but it seems like the animated GIFs are now getting out of hand. Can we do anything about this?
There a are lots of people that have the pic in their profile animated - kind of anoying when you scroll down a thread and these things are bouncing around everywhere.
I've also noticed a lot of jumpy smily faces and stuff in signatures. Not as annoying as the huge photos we used to have, but still a problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2002, 01:44 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Anitmated graphics

Agreed!!! Animated pictures are not allowed in the personal picture area.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2002, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Chad, do you know if there is any way to disallow GIF's in the personal picture? I think that would fix the problem if it can be done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2002, 04:41 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I could check with PJC. He's the software guru.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2002, 09:00 PM

So we are going to kill animated gifs now too?

You are missing the speed problem completely!!
Other boards are completely saturated with animated gifs, jpegs, and many other file types yet are 10 times faster than this board. I have never seen a board this slow.

The speed problem has got to be a server problem period. It may be a server machine that is slow, or a service provider that is slow; Iím not sure how your sites are organized.

When will you guys please come to your senses? Itís not the software or the amount of content; itís a delivery problem.
The files being served to our machines are being delivered slowly. It doesnít matter if it is a 7kb gif file, a 3kb html file, or a 100kb jpeg file. Everything is slow!!

Maybe you need some Pentium 4 upgrades or more ram I canít say, but one thing I am sure of is that a lot of time and effort has been expended and the original problem is still here.

This is the best board on the net as far as I am concerned but good god people! I could have completely overhauled this sight, software, and hardware 100 time by now.

Please donít take what I say here personally but please, we beg of you, get some qualified outside help if thatís what it takes to fix this problem.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2002, 10:24 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I'd have to agree with Jeeplvr! The big sigs were getting out of hand, but some of us guys made them small so that everyone with slow puters wouldn't have to wait a long time for them to load. Okay so thats gone... But, I know that a animated gif isn't taking any space at all. I think its more of a "personal problem" then anything with dschwab9!
I say get over it, if you don't like the animated gifs then suck it up! Its not hurting the bbs or making it anymore slower then it already is. [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2002, 10:42 PM

I dont see what the gifs are hurting either
. but just my opinion .
you the man chad i stick buy you and patricks choice
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2002, 10:52 PM

Ok so I deleted my animated gif to appease the gods [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Dschwab9, if everyone deleted their animated gifs, the BBS would still be just as slow.
Are we headed toward a text only forum?

All you have to do is look around this site a little and you find words like "be patient while this loads" and "signature restrictions" as well as others. Itís crazy! The speed problem is being completely over looked.

Mr. dschwab9, although somewhat annoying, basically has the same concerns as the rest of us to, which is to regain the forum speed yet he too is missing the problem.

Anybody with minimal web hosting or web development background or even general web experience can tell that it seems that something other than software is causing this problem. God I wish I could get a hold of and trouble shoot your computer systems.

I feel that I am right here even though I am obviously just observing and suffering through this drama like everyone else. So I must say that in the event that I am completely wrong, which I could very possibly be, I will apologize to all concerned. Until then I canít help but feel that the real issues here are being stubbornly overlooked.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2002, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

Sorry if I upset people by suggesting this, and sorry I'm so annoying.

I agree that it may not be the root of the problem (there seems to be a speed issue with the datebase), but if you look at it from a bandwidth perspective, it's pretty staggering.

For example, many of these animated gifs are 15K or more. Consider that a thread may be viewed 200 times or more (500-600 is not uncommon in the larger forums)
15KB x 200views = 3MB
3MB in itelf isn't a lot, but consider hundreds of threads, each getting a couple hundred views, the bandwidth usage gets pretty impressive. And each thread may have two or three of these 15K files, doubling or tripling these numbers.
Now, consider that a 100x120 JPG is generally less than 5K, probably more like 3 or 4 (mine is 3.7), we're only using 1MB of bandwidth for the same 200 thread views.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2002, 03:10 AM
bneiman

I agree with JEEPLVR 100 percent! and I'm not alone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode