Adding a CHAT System - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
BBS Changes - General Discussion Please discuss topics related to System upgrades and changes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2002, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
pjc

Adding a CHAT System

One idea I have is to create a chat venue to so that the "chatty" dialogue that occurs sometimes on the BBS can goto a more direct venue.

With that in mind, I'd like to hear about what CHAT software you all like and can reccomend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2002, 01:03 PM

Re: Adding a CHAT System

OH OH OH!!!

Ok, so the SWB guys like to use a program called "PalTalk"
It is good. It allows us to chat using a mic, or just type.

Unfortunately I dispise this certain program because it is WORSE then the POR board in respect to popups and ads.

(Imagine your chat window being sandwiched on 3 sides with ads.)

MY personal favorite chat medium is IRC. For obvious resons such as the simplicity, the cusomisability and the sheer power and raw speed of the protocol.

Unfortuneately, (although I haven't looked in a while) I don't think IRC has any voice chat setup yet.

So, with this all said.

I'm sure some script kiddie somewhere has voice enabled IRC chat, it's just a matter of finding his script.

Might I suggest. Using IRC, using these message boards, and using a voice chat program.

Now here's where my ingenious either pays of or gets me skined.

I have seen... wait for it... a program, made by a few friends of mine for the "Relic Boards."
They too are a message board community.

This program runs off the Microsoft Internet Explorer protocols.
Only, it gives additional power to the BBS.

It would be an optional download, but it's prety much a web browser modified to be specific for the above BBS.

ORC is so big, I belive they should have one.

I also have a friend (brother) who is working on a chat client for IRC. (Specifically for the "Relic Boards" they were in much the same dilema as you.)

So, not only has this "Relic Browser" (name of the client specifically for the BBS.) been designed with the BBS in mind, but now they have built a chat into it.

From there it's one small step to voice intergration.

and from there perhaps another small step towards having an MSN or ICQ style instant messanger for ORC.

That's quite the long post, but I think it could be done if anyone were willing to volunteer the skills.

IMO that would make this the coolest board ever.

the "ORC Browser." with BBS, IRC Chat, Voice Chat, and Instant Message System built in.

I have to go take a look at some code and double check if it can really be done.

(BTW, I REALLY REALLY HATE PALTALK)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2002, 05:47 PM

as long as it has sound my typing suchs . and different chat roomrooms for differnet boards you get the sammi guys and the jeep guys in the same room that would be intresting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2002, 05:58 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Pop ups on pal. Three at one time. Nah you get one when you sign on and one when you sign off. One little click of the x and poof there gone. When we first started the chat room on swb we typed, then we found the voice chat on popkorn, and when that went down we found pal, there is nothing like it. Its take a little to get used to, (talking to your computer is goofy at first). But you should hear some of the soapboxs we get into.

Hey mods, why dont you guys stop in for a little chat once and awhile.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2002, 06:50 PM

wheres the link ? can tgo if i cant find it .
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2002, 07:04 PM
Keyboard Implanted

www.shortwheelbase.com and follow the instructions there. We are on almost ever night from 830 to 1030 eastern.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2002, 10:30 AM
Keyboard Implanted

DO NOT USE PALTALK!!!!!!!!!! It is loaded with spyware and it also screws up you computer.

How about <a target="_blank" href=http://chatspace.com/products/commserv/index.cfm>Chatspace</a>?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2002, 11:39 AM

How about..

My brother is currently working on a Visual Basic Client.

He is going to put IRC protocols in it, and Internet Explorer Protocols in it.

I'm gona get a copy when he's done, and maybe get a voice program sliced into it. Anyone here know VB or C++, I have no clue about either.

Although I will setup preferences and stylesheets specifically for ORC, I don't know the first thing about VB.. yet.

I have a peice of code, about 60 lines long in C++ that will alow me to splice the voice chat seamlessly into any C++ program, my question is can it be put into a VB script?

If it can be done, it should be a matter of weeks before ORC could have a "ORC Browser"

A client specifically designed to surf these boards, chat in ORC IRC rooms, and voice talk over the net.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2002, 09:24 PM

Chad can you tell me why it is so bad and what it does to your computer? We've been using it for a long time and have had no problems. As far as spyware goes.........ORC uses it too..........it's called cookies. Whats the big deal. Besides I have a spyware cleaner that I run every fewdays.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2002, 01:35 AM

Cookies are not spy-ware.

Spy ware tacks your usage and does this by installing small programs or protocols in your computer.
This usage is tracked, corrolated and databased for the companies use.

Cookies are packets of information.
They are placed on your computer (with your concent) and take information off the web server and store it in a file.
This file is then accessed by the SAME webserver, no others, and the file gives said webserver information that was previously placed there by the web server.

Most of the time cookies are used for recognition.

Wondering why you don't have to log in every time you visit here? When you first log in, a cookie is set that is retrieved by the server next round, and tells the server automatically your username and pass.

No other webservers can access this specific servers cookies, this server accesses noone elses cookies.

Spyware although not bad, is termed bad because it is often done without consent and without any real benifit to the end user.
Cookies have an obvious helping factor that makes them generally accepted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode