To the admins - post rating system - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
BBS Changes - General Discussion Please discuss topics related to System upgrades and changes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2002, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

To the admins - post rating system

Chad/Patrick -

Not sure if it's possible with UBB, but on the Tek-Tips forums (<a target="_blank" href=http://www.tek-tips.com>www.tek-tips.com</a>) users have the ability to give others a "star" based upon how helpful the post was. IMHO, this is better than post count ratings because it shows user knowledge and helpfulness. On that site, the person with the most stars at the end of the week wins a small prize, usually a coffee mug. If it's possible here, and a prize giveaway is too much, what about letting the winner choose a custom post count rating?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2002, 02:36 AM

Re: To the admins - post rating system

Good idea.

But as an option.
I don't want to have to rate every damn post I read.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2002, 06:15 AM Thread Starter

Oh, definately as an option. You don't rate the bad posts, only the good ones and even then only if you want to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2002, 08:43 AM
Keyboard Implanted

please a star rating system. Lets see you pissed me off so you get no stars from me even though you reply was right on the money and i just didnt want to hear that i was wrong. Qtec has those star things and what a fing joke they are.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2002, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

Well, I guess that would be an incentive not to piss people off!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2002, 09:29 AM
Keyboard Implanted

you dont get my point. They are a joke. Your buddy will give you 5 stars even though you dont have a clue on how to change your on oil. This board isnt a kiddy board, like others out there (cough, cough, JU).
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2002, 09:54 AM

I don't care either way, but Pontiac is right. It's nothing more than a populatity contest. If you post a lot and have a bunch of friends online.............you will have a bunch of stars. Period. It will overpower the effect of a great tech post or posters for the most part. But I don't really care. I'm sure at least CJDave, LEVE, etc. will have plenty because they deserve and have earned them with great info.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2002, 11:52 AM

ORC guys want some money?

Somethingawful.com setup a thing by which a $10 Donation.. got you a personal title, and 3 enemies titles..

Over there they go a little carzy with the enemies titles, but you could moderate that. I think it's all entered by hand, and I'ts all in good fun.

It doesn't have to be $10 either.. could be $5... Whatever you choose.

Did you guys know that it doesn't have to be .8font and black either? It can be an image, or big red text, big green..

I dunno how sucessfull it would be here, but over there they raiesd $6000 for a new server.

Maybe you guys would want to switch it up a bit.

You get 2 custom titles, one for you, one for someone else, it can be good or bad. and then for every $10 sent you donate $2.50 to an anti-eco-nazi group, and $7.50 to a new server?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2002, 01:29 PM
pjc

Good idea. I will look at for a mod that does this.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2002, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

I do get your point, and if taken seriously by the board members it's a great way to rate users. You are right, we are NOT JU, POR, or any other crappy board where Joe Schmoe needs help changing his oil (and thanks, I know how to change mine [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]). This board has the most technical knowledge of any off-road board on the 'net. Of course, there has to be some way of controlling those "unwarranted" stars. Maybe each board could have a designated "ratings admin" who has permissions to remove BS ratings. This would take the work of moderating this aspect from the administrators so they don't have to waste their time.

Each person can only give one star per post (i.e. you can only vote a single post once).

It's still a better judgement of a user's knowledge than a post count rating. Anyone can post "Hey, how are you today" and get one step closer towards their next level.

I'll make a poll in a new thread, just to get an idea of who is interested in something like this. If any of the admins want to talk to me directly about this for input, please send me a PM or an e-mail.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode