13 year old racing - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Racing For discussion of ATV Racing. Results, race postings, preparations, riding tips!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 12:12 AM
cinsteveo

13 year old racing

Hi all, I am a mom of a 13 year old boy who is wanting to race his Yamaha 400. I know nothing about the racing of quads, when I look at some sites, it looks like his bike is too big. Right now we ride at Pismo Beach in California, and he beats everybody (larger bikes included). HELP! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] <font color="purple"> </font>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2006, 03:07 PM
CRAWLR

Re: 13 year old racing

Northern California or Southern? If you are anywhere near Sacramento, VORRA has 3 short course races in October and they have a bantam class for younger riders. It would be a great place to start. All you would need is a tether kill switch and some nerf bars and you're ready to race.

www.valleyoffroadracing.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 12:45 AM
cinsteveo

Crawler, thanks for the info, I have contacted VORRA, and am waiting for their response.

Cindy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 07:28 PM

It is very much going to depend on the sanctioning body that you race with. In most case a 13 yr old must ride a 90cc bike. But there are exceptions. AMA has a class for thier MX races which allows 13-15 yr olds to ride Yamaha Blaster or Honda 300EX. Some of the other sanctioning bodies also use this same class and at this point that is probaly the best place for him to race. Of course it means you buying another quad. As of this year WORCS will allow a 14 yr old to ride a full sized quad, ie larger than 300 4 stroke, but they also have a 13-15 year old class. I believe the WORCS rules allow up to 350 4stroke. I believe most of the riders in the class are riding blasters though. I have heard Suzuki is going to come out with a LTR250 4 stroke based on their 250 race bike. If they do this will be an awsome quad for this age group. WORCS will be racing at Pismo this October. Make sure to check out WORCSRACING.com or the coverage here on Off-Road.com.

Another alternative is Desert racing where BITD doesn't have any current age restrictions. My son rode in BITD when he was 13 but he had been racing in other forms since he was 5. If you look at the BITD entry forms you will see several 14 year old racing in the desert. But all that said they need to be an experieced desert rider and know what to do when their quad brakes and they are 20 miles from a pit.......

--
Dean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode