What is the best platform for a Desert Quad? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Racing For discussion of ATV Racing. Results, race postings, preparations, riding tips!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

What is the best platform for a Desert Quad?

What is the best desert quad? [img]images/graemlins/neener.gif[/img]

I know we have a lot of Honda riders on here but is the TRX450R best choice? I see alot of Honda's breaking.

Could the Bombardier be the most reliable desert quad out there?

There is not that many Suzuki's but they typically do very well. Matlock won the 2005 BITD championship on Suzuki although he had his first DNF in quite some time at this years opener. I really like our Suzuki. It is one of the most comfortable to ride. Handeling is excellent. It does have about 20 lbs on the Yamaha and the Honda though.

OK [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 01:26 PM

Re: What is the best platform for a Desert Quad?

If we look at history honda has always been there...I really like the way mine rides...Yes we had a little problem ..but when iit comes to a race machine I would think this is oneof the simplist to prep and ultimately be reliable, no battery to go bad, good ergos, and the parts are finally starting to show up.....the yamaha is also a nice ride, and talk about aftermarket trick parts, they are everywhere....easy to set up as well...for me a tall rider did not like the ergos....as for the suzuki I have not ridden one and don't see to many but from the ones I sat on, they feel pretty good ...bombardier looks like it may turn some heads this year let's see what happens.. so I hope this did not answer the question... I don't think any one bike is better then any other..they can all be setup the same ....
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 01:33 PM

I would say the raptor. I love it for my desert racing in d37 and wouldn't hesitate to run it in bitd if I was puting a team together. I am riding shaun #85 honda 450. Its a nice quad but we have had bad luck with things that are out of our control. I am sure the bombardier is a nice quad for out there but I am not sure of the reliability of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 03:47 PM

It's hard to say which is the best platform. With unlimited money, any quad could be the best. If you want to spend little money, I believe the Bomb. is the best. There is not much to do to it to make it desert ready. As far as reliability, I will say the Bomb and Suzuki are up there. I think that Honda and Yamaha can be good to, but they are so new, that there are still many things to learn about them. Everything I've said here refers to desert. In MX, I would have a completely different opinion.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 05:55 PM

have heard about the raptor as well, as being a very good desert bike.....as Ed mentioned, the yamaha and honda are still very new.... hard to say personal preference ..I guess..
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 09:19 PM

i like my yfz for district and tha honda for bitd.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 12:45 AM
Veteran

I think any of those bikes mentioned can be good race bikes in the dez. The Bomb. seems to be a tough bike and havent heard many complaints about it, other than its heavy. I like our Honda 450r. Its hard to adjust the suspension for Eric and I becuase we are so different. The 450r does like to "kick' in the rear. The Raptor is a good bike but can be difficult to ride. My opinion. The YFZ seems like a great bike and everyone who rides it loves it. The Suzuki is proven but a little underpowered. We are lucky that we have ball these choices right now. I still miss the old TRX250r. Thats probly still my favorite........
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 12:48 AM

Anyone remember the ATK 604cc ATV? Came out in the late 80's early 90's. It actually went into production for one year (if I remmber right) and came from the factory with all the goodies... price tag was like $8K. This thing ate Banshees for breakfast!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 11:27 AM

I raced a DS650 for 1 1/2 years. Its a great Baja quad just to heavy for rough courses. In Baja were its wide open good luck keeping up with it. I now have a YFZ and I really like this quad. Its fast and with some suspension help it handles awesome. I will give the DS the advantage when its fast but the YFZ will loose it in the rough. The TRX is a really nice package just needs allot of work in the rear and I really like having electric start now. With the electric start if a do a panic stop and kill the quad I can have it started again while I am still rolling. This is really nice in Baja when you dont see the booby trap till the last min.!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 08:18 PM
Zhvonte

I have a suzuki ltz400 and I have raced over 2000 miles last year and only problem I have had with it during a race was a small leak in the rear tire, but being beadlock rear I was still able to complete the race..... I wish everyone luck running whatever it is they are running, but right now this quad is working for me and I am intending to stick to my z400 for a long time to come....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode