New Racer Question Hralp! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Racing For discussion of ATV Racing. Results, race postings, preparations, riding tips!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2004, 07:08 AM
jhooperii

New Racer Question Hralp!

Heya, I'm 25 and I ran a Honda CR250 a while back in MX for a few years and 1 year on a CRF450R in semi-pro (top-3) usually. I've taken a couple years off and got married etc and now the fellas are talking me back into racing... although this time around it's Quads. I know it's probably not much safer... but I think the wife will believe me! Anywho, It'd be for 20% fast recreational riding/practice and mainly for racing on MX tracks. I'm 5foot 11inches tall and weigh 230lbs (it's not all fat [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]). The question I have is: What should I buy for a new ride? Price really isnt the issue but I dont need a custom built thing either. I've been reading most of the reviews and it seems the YFZ450 is a better racer than the Honda 450R which makes me very sad since I'm a honda guy and my race trailer is red/black! But, I dont know crap about Quad racing and was hoping some of ya'll could give me some feedback on what might be the best for me. I'm looking for something that will handle a bigger rider but doesnt need to be a comfy walk in the park as I do intend to race hard. Any feedback at all would be great as I've got to decide on one this week. Thanks in advance.
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2004, 04:02 PM

Re: New Racer Question Hralp!

I am in the process of prepeing a honda trx 450r. the only problem is finding all the race parts you want ...at a fair price...depends what your going to race be MX or cross country or desert etc....go down and sit on them, bounce around and see how they fit you....your going to invest a good amount of cash no matter which route you take...as for me I ride desert and I did not want to rely on the battery which could fail to start my bike..so I opted for the good ole relaible kick of the honda...but ultimatly both bikes are real good, also I found out the Honda has a weak clutch, which I burned up in one race..problem fixed now...as for allother parts, they all costthe same and soem are easy to get while others are easy...I do notice more parts for the yamaha, but it has been out longer..good luck
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2004, 01:07 AM
Veteran

The Honda is a good bike as well as the Yamaha. The Yamaha seems to be the better of the 2 right out of the box. Once you start getting shocks, a arms, swingarms etc the bikes are more equal and than it will be a preferance. So dont throw out the Honda just yet. Good luck and welcome to quad racing/riding.You will have a blast.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2004, 08:41 AM

i'm surprised u burned up a clutch so quickly, we have 1000 miles on ours and its still good, we're just changing it as a precautionary meeasure for parker.....
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2004, 09:00 AM

same here I think it still is good just smelled it a few times during the last race especially in that last boulder field towards the end of the race...precautionary here as well...it is probably OK but rather safe then sorry
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 07:00 PM

one vote for the honda here [img]images/graemlins/scs.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2004, 03:25 PM

We have several Honda and Yamaha 450's in our organazation and it seems the Honda is holding together a little better and a few of the guys are selling there Yamaha and getting the Honda .I belive the Yamaha is having trouble with the top end coming apart [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 12:12 PM

The only thing I have heard on the top end of the Yamaha is if a piston was used that did not have pin oilers the rod bearing does not get enough oil.

Lots of swingarm problems on the Honda.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode