The myth's of long travel arms... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Racing For discussion of ATV Racing. Results, race postings, preparations, riding tips!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

The myth\'s of long travel arms...

Don't say it's so...that long travel arms are really just +2 longer and you bolt on longer shocks..... I was told that by someone today.....tell me the real story before I make a mistake....preping my trx450r to go beat...I mean battle with you folks....input will be greatly appreciated... [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 12:52 AM
Veteran

Re: The myth\'s of long travel arms...

In a nutshell, thats all they are. You run a bunch more sag in the long travel setups which enables the suspension to "drop into" the bumps. You do have to be more precise on your shock setups to make the shocks do that. So having somebody that is knowledgable setting your suspension up is a must. We use Allen White at Precision Concepts and he is great. He knows the Elka shocks very well and thats what we use. Eric can tell you how the bike rode this weekend but I think he was pretty happy with it.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

Th reason I ask is I found some arms for a very nice price that are +2 and up 1 ..I have no idea what that means at least the up part....was going to buy them but wasn't sure they would do the trick... so if I get he arms +2 to get the long travel I need , I still need the shocks correct? whcih from what I read, should be close to 19" long?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 09:07 AM

length of the shock will depends on the a-arm manufacturer, who is the a-arm manufacturer?

also +2 +1 means +2 wider and + 1 forward....
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

foound some on ebay ASR's are these any good? say will give me 12" with stock shocks...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2004, 10:15 AM

I'm not bashing on any one's product, but the fact is: if you are getting a true 12" of travel out of the stock shocks, the leverage ratios are off and you are going to overheat your shocks and they will fade fast.

If you are going to play ride, you might be OK. If you are going to race, you will end up paying double because you will be wanting to change very shortly. You may not agree, but my thinking is to save up and by good stuff the 1st time.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2004, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

makes sense I don't believe much because I do have some knowledge of mechanical stuff...my stock bike has about 8" travel....I know I need shocks adn arms, just trying to get a decent deal on some stuff.... and unfortuanetly no places near me sell this stuff....I like to see before I buy...where is golden west adn do you think they would have the stuff?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2004, 02:28 PM
Veteran

Ed is right on that. If your going to be putting the suspension through abuse, like in a race environment, the stock shocks will not do with that kind of setup. You will see.Thats why we spend the extra money for suspension, even though its expensive. Thats my recommenation for the 1st upgrade on a bike is the suspension.
racinteach, I think I remeber you said you ride in the D37 area? Hook up with Eric or Shaun, they will show you what we are talking about. Not only that, they are great people....
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2004, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

I know....just trying to find the right one...on another note... holeshoots, mxr4, or xcr or H-D tire....and wheel sizes buying spares for henderson..I hope to be ready by then....
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2004, 04:16 PM

I use 23 and 22 Holeshot XCT's

although for district racing i might go to same size Razr2's for their better puncture resistance then Holeshots...

but the Holeshots work good out at BITD no flats for 200 miles, and erics team went 500 miles with no flats....

Also look at Kenda Klaws, i hear they worka lright, i'm sure justin or dean can tell you more then i can...

and as for a-arms its better to(in my opinion) buy them from an established company,lonestar,Laeger,Roll,etc.....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode