Q72 vegas to reno - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Racing For discussion of ATV Racing. Results, race postings, preparations, riding tips!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2004, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

Q72 vegas to reno

How is the rider who crashed at mile marker 5, i believ they continued on in the race, but i was wodnering ont he condition of the rider, as when we found him, he was a little out of it, and his wrist was bleeding...

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2004, 03:28 AM

Re: Q72 vegas to reno

Shaun,

Max from Q73. Ron made it to pit 2. His crew pulled him off. He was badly bruised and broke his wrist but we saw him Saturday and he was "ok". The worse part was that Q72 was ahead of us by 30 min at pit 14 when Richard took over the bike at 0715pm. He found Nick (Q72) 6 miles from the finish on teh side of the road with his quad jacked-up. He broke his colar bone but was "ok". Tough day for all fo us. Richard made it to the finish at 830pm.

What happened with you? We waited for you at pit 7 for 30 min (until about 130pm) and you nevere showed????!!

Max

PS - still have your gas can.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2004, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

i guess patty was right on you guys going into pit 4, and right after all the silt, when she hit the mountains, the bike started crapping out, so we assumed it was a filter...

and the filter was dirty when she came into 5, so we changed it, and sent phil on his way...

many hours of waiting at pit 8, and our other pit crew shows up with the bike in the back of their <nobr>truck</nobr>..

guess it was still running like crap, and it would barely pull first gear, and also there was a rattle coming from inside the engine....

they tried everything but nothing worked....

bad day for us....

oh and tell steve sorry about the goggle thing, id ecided last minute not to stop..caus ei had slowed down and fixed it a little bit, boy was i wrong...after pit 2 the lens was flapping in the wind lol

communication sucked and we couldnt get ahold of you guys...

thanks for taking the gas for us, and w ewill get it back from you guys at the 200..

and nice meeting you max....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2004, 10:49 AM

Dude... big time bummer. We where worried about you guys and where trying to find you after the race. Wanted to make sure no one was hurt.

Steve twisted his ankle pretty good in the silt between 6-7 I think. He'll be OK. Not bad for only the second time on a quad. He said he hit a silt bed with some big ruts in it and the quad started to tip sideways on him so he reverted to thinking he was ona a motorcycle and put his leg out to push. ouch.

Between 4 and 5 Richard made up the 20+ min we where behind from Ron's gett off at pit 1 and Carter got on.

Lost the swing arm skid plate between 5 and 6. Carter heard it dragging and then it came off at mile 166.... bummer beaause it was a brand new skid AND I had put it on.... I feel like crap. Mike (our primary chase crew guru) and Carter jurry-rigged one of the spare ones at 6 with 2 bolts and zip ties!! That cost us about 20 min. Steve came into 7 and we slapped a newer one on with 3 bolts. It held the rest of the race.

THEN a little after 12 Carter thought the tranny let go!! He stopped and noticed the front sproket nut was missing!!! He put the sprocket back in place and zip tied it on!! Made it to 13 where Mike and crew put a spare one on from the spare bike.... 20 min. there. Mike is the man!!

No flats... but LOTs of vibration at pit 10+ from the tire balls.

We ended up finishing about 30 min before we had estimated to finish. The guys weren't even tired!! They said they could have gone another couple hundred miles!! Not bad for a bunch of old guys!!

Commo sucked for us too!! The sat phones SUCK. we had better luck with out regular cell phones.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2004, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

did q72 end up finishing?

sometimes those skids come off anyway, did u use loctite?

yeah i think that vibration is normal? not sure about that witht he tireballs, that could ahve been why your sprocket bolt came out....

i know nic granlund had a problem with tireball vibration at parker, he had his side case come off, and stuff...

well glad to hear you guys finished and probably got 1st...AGAIN! haha

can richard get his helmet on? hahaha j/k

man that was a fun race though, WFO almost everywhere...

its good to hear that ron was alright afte rhis crash, when me and steve first got to him he wasnt doing too good, and sorry to ehar about nicks get off as well,

yeah we got sat phones too, and they sucked balls...if we had better communication, we could ahve gone back to 6 and helped work on the bike and maybe got it going...

post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2004, 12:38 PM

Oh yeah we used lock tight..... I wont even tell you what we used to lock tight the OTHER skid plate!!

Q72 DID finish I guess because they got the 2nd place award. We left he starting line at 900pmsh and he was still 6 miles away... not sure how he got the bike back....?

Hey did you see Q77 ?!?!? I thought he was DQed?

Richard, Carter and Steve just wanted to finish. When we where 30 min behind Q72 at 14 Richard made the call to take a long pit, put on lights, change air filter, gas, and do a good check. We knew the last 4 miles where rough so he was just going to milk her in. I was with him at 14 and he was pacing back and forth waiting for Steve to bring her in. I screwed up my time calculations by about 10 min.... oppps... but he came in and picked up 5 min on time.

Richard was worried about you guys hoping nothing had happened.

The crew was happy with the win but not happy about possibly getting bumped up to expert.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2004, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

did they tell u they might bump you to expert?

oh and u guys need to stay amateurs, i ahve to ebat you once before you move up LOL thats my goal haha

of course getting a finish is probably more important to me right now, my bad luck is killing me...
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2004, 01:23 PM

No they did not tell us BUT it happened to Dean and Justin last year. The Youngbloods are expecting it. The argument is that we are winning our class but not keeping up with the experts so why move us up?

Don't worry you have to more races to go. You guys are great people so hopefully we can work together as far as pitting is concerned in the future. don't let the DNFs get ya down... although the youngbloods are your competitiors we cheer for everyone.

We where worried that the Honda pits were not giving you support and that you had ran out of fuel. I left pit 7 at 130pm with a truck 10 min away. The pit crew for #1229 said they would fuel you up if you came in. Ya might wanna drop 'em a line and thank them for the effort. I saw them again at pit 11 and they gave me back the gas can your pops gave us at pit 5. They said you hadn't rolled by when they left so we got worried.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2004, 01:32 PM

Hey what's Phil's last name?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2004, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

phils last name is dampier

yup 2 more races...

yeah maybe we can pit together at vegas 200, my parents cna do the main pit, if they want to find somebody for the alt. we are going to ahve our trailer at the main pit for the racers to sit in and relax in when they are not riding...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode