vegas to reno - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Racing For discussion of ATV Racing. Results, race postings, preparations, riding tips!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

vegas to reno

i am looking to get info on what i need for that race. how many chase trucks for pits,how many sets of tires you need.what parts people cary on the quad. if there is anyone i could talk to it sure would help (please)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 04:43 PM

Re: vegas to reno

If you are racing at Terribles town, you will recieve information on it in the packet at sign-up. Also, after Terribles town, everyone who is a 2004 member wll recieve another sign-up form, and a page that usually says how many chase trucks should be required. Then, after BITD recieves your entry, they will send you the full information(course map and all that good stuff.) Last year there was 16 pits or something like that, and you could use 1 chase truck up to about pit 14, then you needed a second. I would reccommend having atleast 2 sets of tires. Most of the pro, and some of the expert teams will probably have atleast 3 sets. You could go with only 1 set but... Last year we carried a can of Fix-A-Flat with us, and we always carry a tire repair kit, first aid kit, and a tool kit. We don't ususally carry too many spares w/ us, but we try to have a lot with our chase crew.
Hope something there helps you.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2004, 12:00 AM
LVYFZRACER

My recommendation for a race like V2R is to have as many sets of spare tires mounted on wheels as possible with your chase trucks. There is not a negative to having alot of tires and wheels. I always have a minimum of 2 chase vehicles at each race that uses pits. As far as carrying things with you, I suggest getting yourself a nice size off-road fanny pack to carry everything or better yet, a large camel bak that utilizes a backpack. I carry a small first aid kit, tire repair kit (plugs), spare spark plugs (2), spare tie rod(mounted on bumper), a small roll of duct tape, tools that have sockets to fit every nut and bolt (usually 8,10,12,14mm sockets with ratchet), a satelite phone (rental) if you don't have a race radio setup, spare clutch and throttle cables ran along the existing ones with zip ties. That may sound like alot, but with everything you can attach to the quad, the stuff you will carry is minimal. Also, having an extra skid plate or 2 in a chase truck or both is a good idea. It's also a good idea to carry a few links of chain with a master link and chain breaker in case you throw a chain. Another thing I learned during the Nevada 1000 was, I took 2 small Gatorade bottles and filled them with fuel, duct taped the tops and then attached them to the bumper for extra fuel. But, one of the most important things you can bring with you in a race like this in June in the Nevada desert is WATER! As much as you can carry with you the better! I hope this helps out some, because there are more things you can do to make sure you are ready.

Ash [img]images/graemlins/scs.gif[/img]

Ash
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2004, 04:14 PM
Veteran

One thing to remember, your pit crew cannot go out on the course to help you if you break! Most of the pits are about between 40 to 60 miles apart. Bring a fanny pack with the necessary tools that you would need to fix almost anything on your bike. From bent tie rods to a thrown chain. A can of fix a flat is good to have, for air.....The Co2 cartridges are nice but you use them up fast trying to find a hole in your tire to plug, and to see if the plugs will hold. Spare tie rods and ends are nice. If you can get your hands ona spare bike for parts thats always nice. The Sat phones are excellent if you use them. As many spares as you can muster up, front and rear that are mounted. Spare links and a chain breaker. Spare master links. Fuel line, a tow rope, duct tape wrapped around the frame or a screwdriver. Safety wire or bailing wire. I think for this race you would need 2 chase vehicals, and a killer pit crew!!!!!! Now for this race you may need some lights so take that into consideration as well, spare bulbs etc......
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2004, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

were can you ren satellite phones from.if you break what do you do walk to closest pit and get parts walk back fix it yourself
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2004, 01:53 PM
Veteran

Thats who I think we may go through...

http://www.gmpcs-us.com/index.htm

What your supposed to do is give a racer a "stuck stub" and they take it to the next check point. You provide on the stuck stub your location and what is wrong etc....
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2004, 04:05 PM

If there is a pit or check point close, you might be able to do that, but I wouldn't reccomend it. First try and rig it up however you can. People have finished races with only 3 tires just by tying some rocks onto the atv. I had a tie rod fall off once, and had no nut, so I tied it on with bailing wire I remembered seeing to the side of the course a quarter of a mile back. It took my crew almost 10 minutes to get the wire off I had it on so good! lol If you can't jimmy rig it, stop someone and see if they have the part. If you send in your stuck stub, the BITD officials would tell your crew at the next pit, and if they can radio to another race team that hasn't made it too the pit before you yet, they might be able to get the part and race it in to you. No crew is allowed to bring parts out to you, but if another racer can, thats fair game.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

do you think two hid torch lights on the handle bars, two torch halogen on the frame, and the stock light would be enough light
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode