desert racing yfz - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Racing For discussion of ATV Racing. Results, race postings, preparations, riding tips!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 11:03 AM
cycleman4

desert racing yfz

Does anyone have any good info on setting up a YFZ 450 for desert racing? I want to keep it reliable and do mainly suspension mods to it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks
CL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 12:43 PM
RezRida

Re: desert racing yfz

I have put quite a few hours on the stock yfz. If your gonna race desert I would recommend getting at least the basics:suspension,oversized tank and skid plates.
As far as the motor goes:exhaust,intake and clutch kit.
Everything else will be extras but well worth the money if your gonna race: bars,pegs,desert seat,steering stabilizer,axle,wheels/tires,quick fill tank ect.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 01:00 PM
cycleman4

Thanks for the info. What type of suspension (resevoir/non-resevoir), size of a-arms should I use. Is a +1 swing arm a good idea? Thanks again.
CL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 01:35 PM
RezRida

I will be running a RollDesign suspension set up w/ either elka or axis shocks. Roll suspension packages are set up for your specific type of racing-desert/mx/crosscountry.I ran Roll on my 400 and had no problems with it-very plush. The reservor on the shock helps keep the oil cooler and your shock running smoother-being on the quad for hours you would definetly want to run a good shock with a reservor. I believe the wider and more travel the better. You could run a +1 swing arm to give you added stability. When it comes down to it, it's what your comfortable with and feel most confident on.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 04:52 PM

I am in the middle of my YFZ build. IMS desert Tank, +3+1 Aarms, +1 swingarm. +2 Axle, +1 Antivibe steering stem with GPR stabilizer. As far as the engine a Pro Design Uni Filter setup, Thunder Alley custom pipe, Jetting by Fox Engine Works, 15 tooth front sprocket and a 37 rear.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 08:06 PM
RezRida

What type of a-arms and swing-arm are you running? I have just began ordering parts for my yfz. Allan Fox prepped our 400 motor and bike a couple times-excellent work. I am considering going with yoshi for motor mods and exhaust. I heard there was a problem starting the yfz with a kick start-to hard or something? How does that GPR compare to the Denton or other stabilizers? Thunder Alley-how are you liking their exhaust?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2004, 11:39 PM
quad_huntr

suspension,suspension,suspension.... i've only ridden the new yamaha a short bit but power didnt seem to be an issue.
a-arms ,axle and shocks would be money well spent.
think long travel........ if ya just have to spend money on motor hop ups but want reliabilty try a slip on pipe,k&n filter,remove the air box lid and re-jet.i hear this brings you up to a blistering 51 or so ponies. should stay very reliable as well and be more power than you'll ever use on most desert coarses.
GOOD LUCK
C-YA AT THE RACES
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 08:54 AM
Veteran

Hey Cliff, I think thats you? Hit it on the head, spend the money on suspension 1st if your riding in the dez or on tracks. Hillclimbs and drags, spend the money on the motor. Suspension mods are great and very noticable especially on extremly rough tracks. Can be the difference between going thorugh a section in 3 gear or 4th or 5th gear. How did you guys like the new bike/Suzuki?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2004, 09:00 PM

i race a 450 in the dezert. ground clearance is the biggest issue. i am on a budget so aftermarket suspention will be after taxes. i used off set wheels and taller tires. 23 in front and 22 in the rear to help out.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 08:53 PM

I will be running Teixeira Tech +3+1 A arms. Ed is making really nice stuff. You can check him out at Teixeira Tech Shocks Will be Custom Axis. Steering stem will also be Teixeira Tech. Swingarm is a Tucker Suspension +1

The GPR is much better than any other Stabilizer. It also cost much more!

I dont have the Thunder Alley Pipe yet. Bob says I should have it in about a week. I have not heard one bad thing about one yet!

You dont want to do anything to the engine. It has more power than you need. If there was anymore it would be hard to ride. Pipe, Filter and no/lid, Jetting is all you need!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode