GPS ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Racing For discussion of ATV Racing. Results, race postings, preparations, riding tips!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2003, 12:58 AM
RezRida

GPS ?

Does anyone have any info about using a GPS in desert racing? I've been running races with out one, but now the longer races are coming up, I thought I should look into one. I dont have any exprience with them. Do you have to actually pre-run the course before you can use it? Are they worth the cash? Is it a must have? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2003, 10:13 AM

Re: GPS ?

With all of the GPS's I've seen, you would either have to pre-run the course, or find somebody using the same model as you that has run the course before(providing it was computer programmable) and upload the course route to follow. Another possibility would be if the race promoters had the route saved in a GPS downloadable format online.
Otherwise all you could really get would be waypoints in the middle of the desert with a straight line direct route to get there which wouldn't follow the course. It still would be a nice thing to have with you in case you got off course and got lost or something (especially at night).
I've never raced so I don't have experience with plotting a race course on GPS, but I do use GPS all summer long while fighting wildland fires to find my way in and out of unfamiliar locations, and to find hot spots that they have found with heat seeking flights at night. (all they give us sometimes is a gps coordinate to find, which is usually only good to get us within 60 feet or so).Good luck, I'm sure some of the experienced desert racers here can give you more info. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2003, 05:30 PM
Veteran

Which races are you interested in. Some of the car and truck racing teams in the Score series may be able to provide those for you.

Steve Sourapas is one that comes to mind and also Scott Steinberger aka PCI Scott. PCI race radios also deals with GPS stuff and may be able to help you out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2003, 11:57 PM

The only problem I see is when I mount mine on my bars it wont stay on. I think its the batteries get beat to death and they loose connection. I have tried everything to mount it and it wont stay on more than 5 mins.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2003, 12:45 AM

I know alot of the car/truck team use GPS but I have not seen any of the ATV teams using one. I don't think I would ever have time to actually look at it. Where it would be handy is if you got off course like several riders did in the Terribles Town 250.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2003, 02:53 AM
RezRida

I ended up purchasing a hand held GPS,just in case we were lost.Luckily we didn't need it.Thanks for the help...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode