Scrambler 500 4x4 takes a dump again - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2001, 12:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Scrambler 500 4x4 takes a dump again

Well last weekend in Florence my crank case split at the output shaft. This is the second time in a year. The first was in Christmas Valley last summer. Both times I had to be towed almost a mile back to camp. It's stock and I run paddles. Both times it happened the rear was sinking into the sand and I put it in reverse to back out and bam! all my oil s**t out into the sand.
I got it fixed under warranty last time ( only had it 2 months ), the cost was almost a grand. It's no longer under warranty. I have less than 500 miles on it. The chain was properly tensioned and I can think of no reason that it would break like that.
I have absolutly no confidence in this machine at this point. I've ridden quads for over 5 year and had a Warrior before I got the Scrambler. I also have a Sprotsman 500 that's been rolled at least 6 times and I love it so I don't have a Polaris issue but I certainly have a Scrambler issue.
Just wanted to post to see if any other Scrambler riders have experienced the same thing. The guys at the shop informed me the it was a fluke and they had never seen anything like it. I'm suspicius of that, am I the only guy that rides the dunes aggressively? I doubt it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 07:05 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Scrambler 500 4x4 takes a dump again

Take it back to the dealer and tell them to call polaris to get them to cover it under warranty. If something happened twice then there is a problem. Believe it or not polaris does look out for the customer. I had many of jobs get covered after the bike was out of warrenty. Also while the dealer has them on the phone tell them to ask there tech guys at polaris what the deal is. I never really got a chance to deal with the new chain system so i really cant help you to much here.

Can someone please bring me a hammer my 33's just ate my fender again. Damn i need more lift.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 11:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Polaris says to have the dealer remove the case, send it back and they'll inspect it for flaws.
My feeling is "of course there's a flaw or why would have broken twice?". So far I'm not getting much cooperation from them. They seem to be convinced I was jumping it and hammering the throttle even after explainging that I was not even moving both times.
Been looking at 400ex's, I like them, I really liked the way the Scrambler works in the woods but I'm not going to take the chance it will break agian. My mechaninc says he'll sell me his 250r for $3k. I'm tempted but haven't checked out the Raptors yet. Don't really care for the DS650.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2001, 09:38 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I just reread your first post and something just clicked on me. You said you crankcase split. Then you said something about your chain. Did you mean the tcase spilt. Any way though that doesnt matter. Dont let the dealer say polaris wont do anything. If you totaly feel you did nothing wrong make sure the dealer stands up for you. I stood up for my customers more then once and got what i wanted. Let me know how you make out.

Can someone please bring me a hammer my 33's just ate my fender again. Damn i need more lift.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode