DS650 vs Raptor(a review) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2001, 10:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

DS650 vs Raptor(a review)

i am now the proud owner of both! a Black and white Brand new Yamaha Raptor 660 and i halso have a 2000 DS650 two of the finest machines made. a while ago i was debating whether to get rid of the DS and get a raptor so i solved that and now i have both =)

The raptor is a VERY nice looking quad very stylish but that comes at a price its not too functional. the front fenders, are junk they do noting but they look cool. the front fenders on the DS650 work VERY nicely. The gearing on the raptor is much more for speed as the DS' is more for power it seems for what reason is beyond me. The clutch on the raptor is soft and does not seem to hold the power back as much as the DS. But if you were to switch the gearing on the raptor to the DS it would be VERY nice the same is for the raptor but you would switch the clutch. The raptor is very cold-blooded you need to full choke it durring the summer when its been inside for a night while the DS will start right up no questions asked in the same conditions. Mind you that i live in New York and we dont have very hot summers or very cold ones for that matter.

handleing, the Ds seems to handle nicer but is harder to stear. the Raptor has more leverage on the bars. The DS being wider and longer make it much more tolerable to spinning donuts and breaking it loose in the sharp turns.. The raptor is narrower and you have to use the break more to help it get into a good donut. The DS has a nicer seat, the raptor has a harder seat more like a dirt-bike but it has a nicer seating possition. Also one thing is the raptor has more grippy stock tires.

the grips on the raptor are very abrasive. and hurt your hands so wear gloves even on those short rides the grips start to take a toll on your hands. The raptor is a speed machine and does not seem to like the twisty rocky trails as much as the DS650. Raptor stalls alot in the trails. I made it idle a little faster but that does not seem to do much of anything.

Oh and lets not forget how easy it is to pull the raptor into a wheely. all you have to do is give it some gas in first gear and shes coming up towards your face. But its not as bad as i make it sound. The DS650 sounds nicer stock than a stock Raptor i would have to say.

well thats about my 2 cents and as i break in my raptor some more ill see about updating this.

also look for another review on Yamaha's New 660 grizzly which im getting this week. I cant wait to ride it with its independent rear suspension and its opional locking front wheels (im not talking about 4 wheel drive i mean posy!) well ill see about that when winter roles around here in new york!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2001, 12:51 PM
raptor_rider

Re: DS650 vs Raptor(a review)

I dont know why you are having to choke your Raptor to get it started , I live in N. Idaho and its hot that hot here either, and I ddont have to choke my Raptor to get her to start.

After you get your Raptor broke in , jet it ane pipe it, the feeling with the gears being for racing only will go away due to a huge bottom end power gain and the problem with it stalling on the trails , I had that problem when my kids ride mine , I found that to be rider error, they dont run the throttle smoothly, and with the compression of the engine being so strong and then putting a load on it, both at the same time, it stalls.

like every stock Yamaha the grips SUCK!!!

as far as the ride compaired to the DS, the DS weighs almost 100 lbs more than the Raptor, so you will need to set the suspention up on the Raptor properly to obtain that plush ride, but it will be alittle soft for jumping like it was made to do

The new Grizzly, Iv'e had the pleasure of riding one and I liked it alot , it rides smoothly, has LOTS of bottom end torque, and the independant sus. works great, its not my cup of tea, but it is a nice ride

Ride hard, Lifes short
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode