Polaris four wheel drive!?!? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2001, 05:46 PM
deepnsteeP

Polaris four wheel drive!?!?

Ok, I put the front end back together today on my Xplorer. The four wheel drive doesn't work now!! I am pretty sure that it did before I took it apart. Anyway the reason that I took it apart is because it rolled off the trailer awhile back and bent the shaft a little. We ran it for awhile after it happened because it really didn't bother too much then when I was around to take care of it. But, I went to college and then thing went all to crap and the bolts that held the brake rotor on rattled loose and came out. Now, it doesn't look like they got into the wire on the axle housing, but I am starting to think that that is what happened. A few things that I did when I took it apart, but I don't think really have anything to do with the problem or not. First, I soaked the hub in diesel to loosen up some bolts that were broke inside the hub. Second, I drilled out those rotor bolts that broke off in the hub. I don't think that drilling would demagnetize it would it? Would it be alright to take a circuit tester on that wire to see if I am getting juice to the hub? I don't want to mess it up worse by poking around in there with one of those.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Anybody else got any ideas? I really want to get this thing fixed soon!![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Edelbrock Performer Series intake and carb, Tri-Y headers, K&N filter, 2 1/2" dual exhaust, 14 bolt FF rear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2001, 10:00 PM

Re: Polaris four wheel drive!?!?

well...if u dont know if it worked prior to the work....makes this a wild goose chase...

first thing...make sure the power is getting to the front end...so yes...circuit tester...if u are getting power...see if the solonoids are working....and go from there....start at the beginning and walk to the end testing EVERYTHING.....

AirBorn!!
The good Lord giveth and the Eco-Nazi's Taketh away!
United we stand..Divided we fall..LETS UNITE!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2001, 10:53 PM
deepnsteeP

K, I found the broken wire. Right down at the axle housing, so I have to take off the hub again to get at the thing. Next question now is, how are these wires connected and what are they connected to in the housing. I know that the four wheel drive is magnetic, but beyond that I don't know to much about it. The "clutch" has like a big nut on it and a little dowel type thing on each side of it and a spring around the whole thing holing them on. Now the way that I understand how the thing works is the dowels are attracted to the housing by the magnet and when they are pulled away like that, they wedge between the hub and the "nut", locking it in four wheel. Not too sure bout all that, but that is the way that I am thinking that it works. Hope someone can help.

Edelbrock Performer Series intake and carb, Tri-Y headers, K&N filter, 2 1/2" dual exhaust, 14 bolt FF rear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2001, 12:11 AM

for that part ur on ur own...i havent wrenched one yet...so i dont know....

AirBorn!!
The good Lord giveth and the Eco-Nazi's Taketh away!
United we stand..Divided we fall..LETS UNITE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode