Painting plastics - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2001, 01:28 AM
deepnsteeP

Painting plastics

Anybody have any experience with painting the plastic body parts on a four wheeler? I been thinking of sanding out all the scratches and painting my Xplorer sometime and was wondering what is out there for painting and prepping plastic. The guy that painted my pickup used a self etching primer. I think that would work great on plastic if there is anything like that FOR plastic. I think I would kind of worry about paint flaking off plastic, but I think that would work pretty good though. Anyways, just thought I would throw that out there.

Edelbrock Performer Series intake and carb, Tri-Y headers, K&N filter, 2 1/2" dual exhaust, 14 bolt FF rear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2001, 01:40 AM
deepnsteeP

Re: Painting plastics

Ok, I found a little article on the net:

"Painting plastic s really not much different than metal.

1. Remove all decals (Tank's decal is under clear-coat, so it is more
trouble/work).

2. Sand all surfaces with appropriate grit paper to remove gouges. I use a
4 inch palm sander for most of the rough work starting with 180 - 320 grit
depending on how deep I need to go. End all sanding work with 400 grit wet
sand. NOTE: Use 600 grit between layers of paint if needed.

3. Chances are if you think you need filler you might not as you can cut
down the plastic more than you think. Be careful and work slow letting the
paper do the cutting. If you need to fill, try not to use Bondo. The
vibration inherit in cycling will tend to promote cracking (under the
paint) which ruins an otherwise good paint job. Use spot putty instead.
Build up many light layers instead of one heavy one. Spot putty sand off
real easily so you might have to do it a couple of times for best results.

4. When painting plastic, you do not need to remove all the paint but you
need to seal the OEM paint and plastic. I used an epoxy based etching
primer/sealer under my paintwork. Ask your paint store for recommendation
depending on what "system" you will be using.

5. Go to a professional automotive paint store and purchasing professional
quality paint. Use paint that you need to mix with hardeners/reducers etc.
like Acrylic Enamel or Acrylic Urethane from Dupont or PPG. Use a high
quality spray gun and air compressor as opposed to shooting on a few layers
of rattle can (Krylon) paint. Acrylic Enamel or Acrylic Urethane are
"Soft" paint and will tend to not chip or crack and are more flexible to
deal with the bending of the
plastic. It varies depending upon the paint type and maker so your best
bet is to consult with whomever you purchase your paint from.

6. Paint in a "dust free" environment. Either rent a booth or hang plastic
on walls and ceiling. Get a high volume fan for exhausting overspray dust.
I use a dryer filter in front of the fan is used to catch as must dust as
possible if you are using your garage to paint.

7. ALWAYS USE A TOP QUALITY RESPIRATOR MASK and eye protection. Use
surgical rubber gloves for final prep and paint. It keeps your hands clean
and more importantly keeps your skin oils of the panels.

8. On that note always wipe off the panels with a wax/grease remover just
prior to painting and use a tack cloth to get rid of any lint/debri."

The only thing that I am wondering about now is whay about when the plastic IS the color???

Edelbrock Performer Series intake and carb, Tri-Y headers, K&N filter, 2 1/2" dual exhaust, 14 bolt FF rear.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2001, 06:48 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I dont think painting plastic is a good idea, I have never seen it done where it lasted and they were always pissed that they did it in the first place.

But I bet if you used that "chrome" paint it would look SWEET [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

You need a thneed
From Once-ler Industrys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2001, 07:20 PM
deepnsteeP

Well I think that I want to paint it or if I don't, I think I want to get new plastic. Is there anyplace that sells Gen IV (I think that's it for the body style on all of em right?) in colors other than camo, green or red? I would like to get white if I can.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2001, 08:41 PM

yeah painting plastic doesnt always come out good..i saw some xr200 somewhere that was painted black and it look really crappy hahahaha...i would look at what the OEM colors were and see if there was a model year that was white..

<font color=blue>I ride a Banshee. Fear me.</font color=blue>
<font color=blue>89 Banshee</font color=blue>
<font color=blue>98 Warrior</font color=blue>
<font color=red>95 300ex</font color=red>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2001, 01:32 AM
deepnsteeP

I think only the Scramblers have been white in OEM colors. I don't know for sure though.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2001, 07:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Here is a post from another forum that was on painting plastics......

WARNING! Once you start prepping the plastic there is NO going back!! "standard disclaimer" Its obvious that you must remove the plastic from the quad. Next wash the plastic inside and out with a grey (3M) scotch bright pad with dish detergent throughly. This will lighly scuff the plastic and semi remove the release agents from the plastic. Dry off the plastic and look for any shiney areas that were missed....Rescuff those areas. You want the water to sheet off of the plastic, not like a freshed waxed hood on a car. Next wet sand the plastic with some 400 grit wet and dry sand paper. Make sure that you get all tight areas very well. Make sure that you get the outside edges well also! They are just as important! Those areas will be the first to peal if not prepped correctly. If your doing the whole plastic (tank cover, rad cover, frt fenders, and rear fenders you will use approx 4-5 9x11 sheets) Dry the plastic and recheck for any missed areas. Remember the flatter the prepped area the better the job will look. If you have any small chips or scratches take a small flat block of wood (paint paddles/sticks work well) and wet sand the area well to remove any little imperfections. Next use a red (3M) scotch bright pad with a plastic cleaner (this will need to be purchased at an automotive paint supply house) ICI autocolor's # is 1333 cleaner for plastics. RM's part number is 901 and or 902. I have some of this that I can send to you so that you dont have to purchase a large container and only use a pint. The 1333 plastic cleaner is the best I have seen... Spies Hecker has some also but I dont have the part # in front of me. All of the major paint lines have plastic refinish procedures but NOT all of them work sucessfully! You need to scuff the plastic again w/ the red scuff pad and the plastic cleaner. Make sure the cleaner does not dry up... keep it wet. This will open the pores to the plastic and greatly help adheasion. Rinse and dry the plastic off. You have to topcoat the plastic with a plastic primer within 10 minutes of cleaning/drying the plastic with 1333. Next apply 2 medium coats of plastic primer (ICI's #2001) with a flash of 5-10 minutes between coats. Let the primer dry for 15 minutes and then top coat it with a high quality basecoat (this is where I recomend basecoating the whole part for better adheasion) Apply your basecoat until coverage is obtained, making sure that you gave each coat plenty of flash time inbetween coats. Let the base coat sit for 15 minutes per coat (3 coats 45 minutes, 4 coats 1 hour) After a thourough flash you can do any graphics or Highlighting as wanted. Next apply a high quality clearcoat (follow instructions for the clear you use for painting plastics) adding flexagent etc. There are many diff paint lines out there. If you decide on one stick with there system from start to finish. Just keep in mind that NOT all of them work like they say they do. The best plastic refinish systems I have seen are from Spies Hecker, ICI Autocolor, and Sikkens. The other companys have systems but for painting quad plastic is a diff story. This project wont be cheap since most companys dont sell these products in small amounts. Let me know and I can put together a few small cans with the products you will need. I am sorry this was such a long post but thats whats involved in painting plastic and having it hold up well. If you have any more questions or if your confused about something let me know and I will help as much as I can

So Yes you can paint plastic but its not an easy or cheap process...... you can see many pics of painted plastic on my site
http://www/roostfest.com
http://www.kandkatv.com
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2001, 07:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

i painted the tank covers and radiator cover on my banshee by following a combo of these steps. i primed mine and wet sanded the snot out of it, its slick as a ribbon now. i havent had a problem with it flaking off yet, but its not on the fenders where most wear and tear goes toward the plastic. just wanted to let you know

<font color=blue>Chris </font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
'85 Jeep Cherokee
'93 Banshee
'88 Quadracer

post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2001, 08:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Banshee370 post is the way to go.It takes a lot of prep and correct products to do this job right.ATV plastic is made out of polypropylene or polyethelene and there nothing onthe market that will soften these plastics for better adhesion so proper sanding and undercoats is very important.
I have have the most luck with Bulldog adhesion promoter and follow up with basecoat and clear with flex additive.No matter how much prep is done if you really plan on using and abusing your quad the paint job will not last.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2001, 04:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

We own an autobody business and plastics are different than metals in how they are handled. I use a different chemicals with each. You want flex additives in your paint materials, you need to use special plastic prepping agents, be sure and look at instructions of what you use so that the chemicals work together. With plastics especially you want to make sure your parts don't get full of static, it can react with the paint.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode