Polaris ATV - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2001, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Polaris ATV

We are in the market for a few ATV's and are thinking about the Polaris 4 wheelers. Would like to hear any pro's and con's about buying, using these bikes.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2001, 10:22 PM

Re: Polaris ATV

I have not had extreme close up play time with them...just brief play time....the others can prolly help yaa more then i can

AirBorn!!
The good Lord giveth and the Eco-Nazi's Taketh away!
United we stand..Divided we fall..LETS UNITE!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2001, 01:40 AM
raptor_rider

Iv'e got a 2000 Trail blazer for the kids, we love it , its easy to ride , has good power , and handles real well , we dont jump it, it wont handle it very well, its to heavy, but just to run around on its great fun for every one

Ride hard, Lifes short
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2001, 07:33 PM
deepnsteeP

Well there is a lot of things about the Polaris's that I like. A lot of people say that the belt drive on them is a weak point, but I have really have not had any problems with it. I guess sometimes they will slip when they get wet, but I have had both of our Polaris's in some pretty deep mud and water and never have had any problems with them. I really like the suspension that Polaris has had for years. Seems like some of the other manufacturers are starting to catch up now, but Polaris seems to have had the best suspension since at least '96 on all their models. I like the push button four wheel drive on them too; there when ya need it, shut it off when ya don't want it. Only thing about that is that you need to watch those wires on the front struts, they are silaconed (sp?) in there and you don't want them to get wet at all. One other thing that Polaris has that I really like is that they are true all wheel drive, doesn't seem to affect the steering or handling much either.

There are a few things that I don't like about the Xplorer we have. First of all, it's a '96 and the problem has been fixed with the concentric drive. But anyway, the rear chain had problems because of the amount of change in chain tension when the suspension flexes. It takes a lot of adjustment and messing around with to keep all three of those chains in good adjustment and oiled good too. Another thing that is kind of a problem on the Xplorer and the Sportsman we have is the brake system. One lever controls all three calipers. Works fine except for going down really steep hills or quick stops on turns. They do make a kit so that you have control of front and rear brakes seperately, but I don't think that that would be enough myself. I think that they need more brake in back, whether it be a bigger one or another one. Either way, it would help out quite a bit.

Hope that helps out a little!

Edelbrock Performer Series intake and carb, Tri-Y headers, K&N filter, 2 1/2" dual exhaust, 14 bolt FF rear.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2001, 08:21 PM

I've had 3 polaris quads 89 250, 98 explorer 400, 01 sportsman 500HO. They are excellent quads, the new sportsman rides and even jumps like a cadilac. The brake lever is an awesome feature to me, I never need to use the floor brake, I haven't had any problems going down steep hills either. I did have chain problems in the rear of my explorer and some belt slipping but then again I beat the snot out of it and it still runs great...

Me at the Vermont Jamboree.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode