our future - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2001, 09:28 AM
portgrinder

our future

if you want to see what kind of $hit is going to save us from the eco nazis please see 'portgrinders sled' post in the dirtbike section and check out this website: www.ualberta.ca/~uacsc

i was a non believer in 4 strokes but after being the main rider of this project at our university, my mind has begun to change. this was a project we did to make a snowmobile that was cleaner, yet still retained the performance we all love. it worked very well

You wear your silver chain but the cross won't stop the lies,you believe in nothing
Kenton Thomas,Portal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2001, 10:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: our future

i need alot of proof to make me believe that a stock fourstroke can hang with a stock twostroke in prime conditions (like sand or a professional race track) and i mean in a drag race and same cc's too

not like supercross where they need a 426cc fourstroke to hang with a 250cc twostroke

a fourstorke just wont reach high rpms fast enough (well without some head work and alot of other goodies)

may my zilla live forever

post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2001, 10:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

yeah everyone look at that page you see to replace a 440 two stroke they had to use a 600 fourstroke and that page says it was heavily modified that probably means custom heads (which are usually billet aluminum) which drecrease the wieght tremedously so that is why the four stroke wieghed in lighter

like i said in my previous post a fourstroke cannot compete witha twostroke in prime conditions stock for stock (no custom parts) and same cubic centimeters (cc's)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2001, 01:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

That's your opinion, it's a lot cleaner too...don't diss on them for doin that, i don't see your gettin up and doin it, do i?? Dont ****in diss on them becuase they did somethin different. You can like your two strokes, i love them too, but take it at face value man, the government screwes us up the ****in ass man. They are gonna be history SOON. Unless we can find a freakin way to clean them up, it is a lot cheaper to build a four stroke than it is to clean up a two stroke.

<font color=blue>UGH, I HATE WHEN THAT HAPPENS.</font color=blue>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2001, 05:41 PM
portgrinder

fiirst of all, it was an xcr 440, polaris's race sled. were talking about 10 grand purchase price. it puts out the same hp as their 600 xcr.

second, the only mods we did to get more power was making our own fuel injection system. no fancy heads.

third, stock this motor puts out 105hp in the gsxr600. that is the exact same as a 600 2 stroke my friends. fourth the power curve of this motor kills any comparable 600. it revs till 13 grand and 'feels' just like a 2 stroke powerband.

i thought too there was no way a 4 could replace a 2stroke and still go like hell, but it can be done. and yes, it sounded awesome

i challenge any of you to go and ride a gsxr600 or r6 and tell me honestly you would not buy an atv/sled with that motor in it

i am not trying to be an A$$hole here, just thought you guys might be interested a 'toy' can be clean and still go like helll

You wear your silver chain but the cross won't stop the lies,you believe in nothing
Kenton Thomas,Portal
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2001, 09:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I want a 250r frame with an R6 engine, that has always been a dream, but would cost some serious cash and lot's of frame modifications...owell, just babblin on. Port, you are not an ASS, 'zilla is just ignorant.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2001, 10:29 PM
deepnsteeP

Ya all ever read much on the DFI 2 stroker? I read a little on it awhile back and they sound pretty impressive. Keeps the power of the 2 stroke, but from what I read, they burn cleaner than the comparable 4 strokes.

Ok, dug out the article, SnowTech, September 2000. Looks like they use an injection system that blasts the right amount of fuel into the combustion chamber when the exhaust port is closed. Says here that by doing this, it illiminates most of the unburned hydrocarbons kicked into and out of the exhaust. This allows for the 2 stroke to use a catylist to clean up the exhaust even a bit more. Then, by keeping it a 2 stroke, which we all know, has fewer moving parts and less differential pressure across the crankcase and combustion chamber, helps to keep it a bit more fuel efficient too, so there is less fuel burnt to produce the hydrocarbons and nitrogen oxides. Also, says here that 2 strokes have natural EGR (exhaust gas recirculation), never really thought about it before, but, ya that makes sense. Ok, so the way I understand this, by using DFI, it lowers combustion chamber temperatures, which doesn't allow for nitrogen oxide geraration as much as in the conventional 2 strokes. I don't see any dynos in the article, but the author claimed he rode a 50cc scooter with this motor in it that is supposed to use 40% less fuel with no loss of power!!! Pretty impressive if the things work out in the near future I hope!

Edelbrock Performer Series intake and carb, Tri-Y headers, K&N filter, 2 1/2" dual exhaust, 14 bolt FF rear.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2001, 11:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

sorry if i offended some people

i just hate four strokes case and point

but sooner or later i am going to have to get a four stroke cause of the dam government and i will complain till the day i die until then

may two strokes live forever

ohhh one point i forgot to make how much does it cost to rebuild a four stroke engine cause i can rebuild a two stroke for under 200 dollars that is just a question out of curiousity

you guys ride your four strokes and i will ride my two stroke and we will all live happily in the off-road community

post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2001, 01:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Quadzilla, you will never catch me buying another four stroke again, but don't diss on people who have them, it's just there prefference. Yeah, it cost me 300 bucks to rebuild mine.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2001, 06:21 PM
portgrinder

ya dfi is pretty impressive. the bottom pretty much ends up like a 4 stroke. its expensive as helll though.
one group had a dfi sled at the competition we went to but it blew up the first day

Kenton Thomas,Portal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode