Banshee ignition kill???? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 04:11 PM
cleartoy

Banshee ignition kill????

I am narrowing in on the ignition problems on my 93 Banshee. It has always had a problem of stalling for no apparent reason at the drop of a hat. I can be full throttle up a sand dune, or just riding along.

I was out testing my bike today, after installing a new coil with wires, and the temp gauge. It rode beautiful, even cylinders, excellent throttle response, haulled [email protected] I was so happy, i was coming back to the truck to tell my girl how good it was, and it stalled while going down hill. It wouldnt start. i pulled the gas cap off, and of course i had plenty of fuel. I thought maybe the gas cap had vapor locked, but i didnt hear any hissing while removing it. I just sat for a few minutes and then it started.

Any ideas? Im thinking about tracing all the wires and looking for a bare wire. Incidently i have the TORS disabled. Thanks.

-cleartoy

Got sand?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 09:17 PM
raptor_rider

Re: Banshee ignition kill????

if it does it more HOT than warmed up or cold I would take a close look at the stator windings, they will expand hot and contract cold ,loosing conection hot regaining conection cold , GOOD LUCK

Ride hard, Lifes short
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2001, 12:21 AM
cleartoy

Welp, i removed all the body parts and , I traced all the wires and did not find any bare wires. Im nearly convinced that the gas cap is vapor locking and causing the bike to stall.

I will check into what you said Raptor Rider, thanks.

-cleartoy

Got sand?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2001, 09:47 PM
Pete

Toy,
Mine acted up once and I kept digging until I found something. After removing the entire wiring harness from the quad I found a bare spot contacting the frame about a foot away from the CDI box. The next time it does it pull the gas line off the tank. My cap vent plugged with mud once and I thought I was out of gas because none would come out when I pulled the hose. Then when I opened the cap it went everywhere[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]. And throw a spare plug on the wire and check for spark.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2001, 02:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey cleartoy...how much was your new coil and wires. just curious cause my bike is not gettin any spark and i have no idea why. thanks.

<font color=blue> "Loofer" </font color=blue>
<font color=red>'88 Banshee</font color=red>
<font color=red>'79 Bronco</font color=red>
It is not about "WHAT" you ride, It is about "IF" you ride.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2001, 06:13 PM
cleartoy

I did remove the gas line from the tank, because i was able to see a big bubble in the line. I got rid of the bubble and it ran fine.

The new coil, with wires was $46 from Yamaha. It comes with the clips that hold the wires into the coil which you CAN NOT buy seperately.

-cleartoy

Got sand?

post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2001, 06:18 PM

cleartoy...if u r getting vapor lock...the tank will hiss like hell when ya pop the cap....it sounds almost like the stator may have a slight short starting...and that sucks....if u still have the plastic off.....check by the CDI box....but I am thinkin stator....good luck and let me know...

AirBorn!!
The good Lord giveth and the Eco-Nazi's Taketh away!
United we stand..Divided we fall..LETS UNITE!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2001, 10:26 PM
cleartoy

How do i check the CDI? I looked at the stator, and it seemed ok, everything was still wraped in that plastic stuff.

-cleartoy

Got sand?

post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2001, 11:29 PM

well the CDI on the banshee is notorious for just going out...there is no middle ground...but NEAR the CDI box...there is a spot where the harness tends to rub on the frame....look about a foot from the box...within that foot...you will see what i mean...

the stator can look fine...but the short is usually within the wrappings so you can not see it by the naked eye....

AirBorn!!
The good Lord giveth and the Eco-Nazi's Taketh away!
United we stand..Divided we fall..LETS UNITE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode