Sportsman 400 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2001, 04:27 PM
snownut

Sportsman 400

Anyone have any experience with a 96 Sportsman 400? I am looking at buying one, and am wondering if there was any issues with them.

Snownut

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2001, 10:21 PM
raptor_rider

Re: Sportsman 400

from what I hear the only problems polairis had were worked out in the late 80's early 90's

Ride hard, Lifes short
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2001, 10:02 PM
Keyboard Implanted

The only thing i can think of with the 96's were they were hard to sell new. Polaris came out with the 500 and the 400 sales fell hard. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I dont always check over here. I am always on the swb side though. By the way i was a tech at a dealership during that time. Thats why i know how hard they were to sell.

Can someone please bring me a hammer my 33's just ate my fender again. Damn i need more lift.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2001, 08:49 AM
snownut

Do think that the 2-stroke is what hindered sales, or just that people saw more cc's? I would think that horsepower wise the 400 should have more, just not as much torque.

Snownut

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2001, 09:07 AM
Keyboard Implanted

What hurt the 400 was that most of the sales were to "HUNTERS" and the 500 was quietier, had the gen4 body on it, the rear suspension, and just a new big bad quad. The 400 motor is a very tuff motor. I have built a few scarmbler 400's and cant believe at how well they hold up. 400's have hurt themselves but most of the time i would find out that the owners buddy said hey we can rejet this thing and it will go faster. You get the idea.

Can someone please bring me a hammer my 33's just ate my fender again. Damn i need more lift.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2001, 03:36 PM
GTA

Is this to say it will mess up my Sportsman 400 if I put a jet kit in it? Or, are you just saying people try to work on them that have no idea what they are doing?

Gearheads do it greasy!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2001, 10:06 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Must people had no clue what they were doing. If you are putting in a jet kit i hope you have done other things like exhaust or cluthing.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2001, 07:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Don't do it, a friend of mine just traded his for a HONDA 450es and loves it the POLARIS was a ready manufactured piece of greif, he was always working on it, ever heard of the story work on em all week long just to ride em 10 min on sunday, gets old after a while.

Good Luck!

88 Fourtrax 300 95 foureman 400 4x4
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2001, 07:05 PM
Keyboard Implanted

You know i get tired of hearing people trash polaris but you know what i will stop there. You know what i wont. 99% of the problem is people have no clue how or when to work on there polaris. Its not a jap bike and is nothing like it. I have helped more then one jap tech, repair a polaris that he was pulling his hair out with. Those same guys have also bailed me out when it comes to the jap bikes. They are a different breed and you have to service and wrench on them different.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2001, 09:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i really havn't heard of polaris having problems...but...i don't know many polaris owners either. That is like people dissin on honda...sheesh...[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img].

<font color=red>LISTEN TO YOUR VALVES.</font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode