Early vs Late model Banshee Performance - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 11:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Early vs Late model Banshee Performance

Have a 2000 Banshee with pipes/reeds/airbox mods. In comparing the performance to a friends 1990 with same mods we've had our local shop run both on the Dyno. 2000 makes 44HP and the 1990 makes 50HP (We're at 4400').

Does anyone know of changes to the port timing / electrical or any other component that Yamaha has changed in the Banshee over the years 90 to current that might explain the difference.

Thanks.

-RazorDog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 12:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Early vs Late model Banshee Performance

i dont know but i would be interested in what you find out. i would like to put my Banshee on a dyno just to see what she is putting out, but dont know anyone with a dyno.

Chris [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
<font color=blue>You dont quit riding because you get old, you get old because you quit riding!</font color=blue>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 02:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i have heard that some of the earlier banshees were faster, but kids started to get hurt and yamaha was gettin in trouble, so they changed some stuff. ill try to find out. laters

~Goot
Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.
Yah it stinks and is giving you a headache it's a desil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 03:59 PM

haha did you just read that on bluetraxx.com? cuz they are talking about the same thing over there...the older ones (the ones with the J arms) had bigger main jets in them..which could be because of porting...but i dodnth think there is a significant diffence becasue of that...are the pipes differnent? is your jetting the same?

Large balls...the replacement for displacement[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
<font color=blue>-VVickedVVarrior-</font color=blue>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 03:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Update: I've called two of the bigger shops and they say Yamaha hasn't signifigantly changed anything. I've heard from a good tuner(and this is really hersay at this point) that this is known issue with 96+ Banshees. I may be shopping for a aftermarket ignition system soon!

-RazorDog
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 07:52 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

speaking of that, i saw something yesterday in the lastest Dirt Wheels magazine that i am going to look into a little more, it was an FMF ingition system for the banshee...it was somehow adjustable on the fly with a switch on the handlebars and sold for under $200. supposedly you could adjust it for more bottem end torque and then change the handlebar selecter for more top end speed with the flip of a switch all on the fly. i am going to look into it some more, anyone else saw this or know what i am talking about?

<font color=blue>Chris </font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
'93 Banshee, '00 Blaster
<font color=blue>{Gravity} - Some people have no respect for the law!</font color=blue>
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 11:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Chris, i have seen them before, don't know what they are though...it sounds like a good deal if it is under $200, because i have seen them for upwards of $500 big ones.

WARNING
The surgeon general has determined that motorcycle riding will cause: Swelling of the TESTICLES, shrinkage of the BRAIN, and severe trauma to the EGO.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2001, 04:56 PM
cleartoy

Ive seen the FMF AOF ignition, and it was way more than $200. Seems like a good idea. I want to upgrade my ignition soon, cuz im having some reliability problems on mine,and once you break the clips that hold the plug wires in, you are screwed. Alba sells the DYNA ignition for around $300.

When the Banshee came out in 87 the mags said it made 48HP(dont remember if they claimed @the wheel or @the crank). Now a days they average [email protected] wheel stock.

-cleartoy

Got sand?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode