Speed ?????? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2001, 03:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Speed ??????

My brother is picking up a Polaris 500 H.O. 4x4 big bad quad, I had picked out a raptor so I could keep up through just about anything and completely waste him when ever I wanted with reverse that quad was great, the problem I have found is any dealer within 3 hour drive that even has a raptor is charging around 7,500 I don't have that kinda cash so now what ?
My needs haven't changed I still need a do all quad I love speed but I also enjoy snow and most importantly hunting love to smoke deer
I figured the Raptor could pull the deer since I might have a tough time mounting it to a rack (Joke).
So I have revised my search yet again, will a Wolverine only being a 300 keep up with a big monster 500 ???
maybe I am missing something, and besides Polaris current owners is there anyone that says good things about the quads ????
I seen the new 500 it's got all kinds of neat power outlets cooler stuff all the goodies, I just can't handle second place, someone help me out.
I looked again at the 400 EX but no reverse just sucks a$$ !
hook me up with some info please !

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2001, 04:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Speed ??????

the Wolverine puts out decent amounts of power and i think it will run with the Polaris Sportsman 500. its powerplant is very simular to the Warriors. the Sportsman will be able to do things the Wolverine cant, and vice versa. theres not a quad out there that will do anything and everything the best...if there was i would have 2 of them! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

the only 2 quads IMHO that come close to a do all quad is the Yamaha Wolverine and the Polaris Scrambler 500 4x4. i have recently rode a modified Scrambler and was well pleased with the power it put out, and i will get a chance to ride a stock Scrambler maybe this afternoon (a friend just got one, and is coming over sometime). now the Scrambler wont be a Banshee or Raptor killer. and it wont be the best for pulling a heavy load from a hitch. but it will be good at almost everything you throw at it. it and the Wolverine is a "jack of all trades, master of none" type deal.

no matter what machine you sit on, it comes down to rider ability. put my brother (who has never rode a fourwheeler before) on a heavily modified raptor and put me on my blaster and i will smoke him everytime. its all about experience and then the machine comes into play. sorry this was so long, hope some of it helped.

Chris [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
<font color=blue>You dont quit riding because you get old, you get old because you quit riding!</font color=blue>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2001, 07:35 PM
deepnsteeP

We own a new Sportsman, not the HO though. I really don't think that it's that difficult to beat one in a race. We also have one of the Explorer 300's and I think that it would beat it in a race. My neighbor also has a Wolverine and I am pretty sure that his would waste the old Sportsman. He put a different pipe on it and a K&N filter on it, I think that's pretty much it. Just with that, he can pull up a wheelie out of his garage. Hope this helps a bit.

If it hurts, soak it in cider!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2001, 09:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I like warriors...They will do about 65 mph top speed i think. The sportsman prob does every bit of that too, but is heavier, the warrior will get there a LOT quicker.

WARNING
The surgeon general has determined that motorcycle riding will cause: Swelling of the TESTICLES, shrinkage of the BRAIN, and severe trauma to the EGO.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2001, 09:58 PM

mine did 60 when it was stock...65 is alittle high but yeah close enough anyway....

Large balls...the replacement for displacement[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
<font color=blue>-VVickedVVarrior-</font color=blue>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2001, 10:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Give me an E for effort WHORE! LOL.

WARNING
The surgeon general has determined that motorcycle riding will cause: Swelling of the TESTICLES, shrinkage of the BRAIN, and severe trauma to the EGO.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2001, 03:07 AM
raptor_rider

ya want to smoke a polairis500 and have reverse, go with the Kawaski praire 650 has great suspention , will climb a tree (or jump it) has BIG balls, and it has the racks on it for packing out that elk!!!

Ride hard, Lifes short
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2001, 08:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

the new twin?? I havn't seen a test on that yet...it looks pretty beefy.

WARNING
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2001, 04:37 AM
raptor_rider

check out DIRT WHEELS , july issue, they have a article about one

Ride hard, Lifes short
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode