Anybody else hate polaris brakes? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2001, 05:40 PM
deepnsteeP

Anybody else hate polaris brakes?

My dad has a new Sportsman 500 and I love the thing except for the brakes. They don't seem to be enough for that big thing. I like them all being disk brakes and everything but the one for the rear has to be in the worse spot there is. Why didn't Polaris put one on each side of the rear axle to get the stopping power a little more even. On steep hills, the thing seems to want to tip forward. I guess this one isn't as bad as the Explorer 300 we had, but still a problem. And here's one other question. One of the front ones "clicks" when I turn right with it and sometimes when I turn and brake at the same time. Any idea what the problem might be? I think I'll tear into it right now and have a looksee. Must be the inside pad stickin a little. One other thing, the brakes are SQUEAKY. Is there something I can do to get them to stop?!?!? It's drivin me insane.

If it don't go Vrrrooom Vrrrooom, I don't want it!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2001, 07:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Anybody else hate polaris brakes?

Well we have a 425 magnum and they do where out kinda fast except for my bro and cuz slam on them when ever they have to stop. Especially the foot brake.

~*Red Rida*~
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2001, 06:33 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

There is a adjustment on the front brakes, look for the allen bolt on the end of the shaft that the front pad slides over. Also they are heavy machines so they use up brakes a little faster, I have the severe duty ones on the front of mine and they lasted a year of hard riding.
Good Luck!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 03:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Brakes? I rarely use them on my 2001 Sportsman HO, except on the STEEPEST of hills. Even then, I use them very little (usually just tap them). If I clench the brakes on my machine, I will most likely fly over the handlebars. Sounds to me like a shoddy setup job by the dealer. Squeaks? Haven't heard one....yet.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 03:33 PM
GTA

The 2001 500HO comes with engine breaking system installed. You will not experience the extreme need for brakes. I had the EBS installed on my 2001 400. When I test drove one without it, I was constanty grabbing for the lever.

Mine do squeek sometimes, but I do a lot of sand and water riding.

Gearheads do it greasy!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2001, 08:17 PM
deepnsteeP

Pretty sure this one has the EBS. Just seems to me that the brakes are undersized for the weight and speed you can get the thing to. I guess I looked at them not too long after I posted this the first time and they weren't worn too bad, but still quite a bit for it only being about 8 months old.

If it hurts, soak it in cider!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode