to Plow or not to Plow - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2001, 11:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

to Plow or not to Plow

I'm getting ready to either dump $2000 into my 86 GMC and outift it with a plow - OR sell the dump and buy a nice fat automatic ATV with a plow. Ovbiously I'll get more fun out of the ATV!!! BUT I live up here in Maine, and we sometimes get really dumped on with snow. I am a little concerned that ATV's are not cut out to deal with lots of snow, and that plowing a 400 ft driveway might not be the best task for one of these things.

Can someone please give me either a thumbs up or down on plowing experiences with these things? I know relatively nothing about them, except that I'd need to get a big one with an automatic tranny.

Anything you have would be incredibly helpful!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2001, 02:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: to Plow or not to Plow

my grandfather has a '88 Yamaha Big Bear (which is a 350cc and an auto clutch/manual shift) and a plow on the front of it. he lives in Kentucky on the very top of a mountain and they have gotten some pretty good snows up there in the past couple of years and he hasnt had a problem pushing 150ft long concrete driveway and then clearing the neighbors' out for them. he even helped spread 1 ton of gravel with the same setup for a friend of his, and all the spreading was done with his quad. for that he had to weld a heavy @ss piece of steel on top of the plow blade to keep it down and since then he said he hasnt had any problem pushing anything with it. he uses a Superwinch T1500 to lower and raise the plow blade.

so you wouldnt have to have the biggest and the best, but it would be nice and would probably make life a little easier. if you dont have a quad now, i would recommend getting something with a little more power than what you think you will need, just in case, he just already had that Big Bear and wanted to use it. hope some of this has helped.

Chris [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
<font color=blue>You dont quit riding because you get old, you get old because you quit riding!</font color=blue>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2001, 04:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

GO WIT THE QUAD!. . heh . If u get a beast of a machine. . well, somethin on the bigger end, such as a polaris Sportsman, Honda Rubicon, or Arctic Cat 500 and a decent plow.. you can push more snow than you'd think.. Its loads of fun, and even wit the piles of snow we get around here, I've never had any trouble wit it. Sure sometimes you gotta take it easy, takin half runs (if that makes sense), at least on my lil 225 2x4.. . But wit wit a Arctic Cat 500 Automatic and the whole winch and plow deal, i've never ran into anything she couldn't push. Nobody in the neighborhood needs to shovel their driveway as long as i got some gas!

Evan. XL100S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2001, 05:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If I were you I would go for the 4 wheeler. Do not get a honda rubicon I mean I love my xr but my grandpa just got a new rubicon and I took our polaris magnaum with bald tires and my cuz took out my gramps new rubicon and he was goin through snow and got it stuck and broke the trany which our 425 polaris went through easy with almost bald tires. We have to take the rubicon in and they think they might have to take the engine out and everything so that suucks. Go for a sportsman 500.

~*Red Rida*~
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2001, 01:38 AM
raptor_rider

I just sold a Suzuki King Quad/with plow, hated it ,I had to sit in the cold and take 20 passes at the driveway to clean all the snow off, I just got a plow for my truck, now I get to sit inside my truck WARM, and it will only take 4 passes to clean my driveway, so I got a plow for my driveway and a sports quad for ME !!!

Ride hard, Lifes short
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2001, 08:47 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

So it's three for the Quad and One for the GMC. I'll be honest - I actually LIKE being out in the cold and wet snow - especially in blizzards - so sitting exposed doesn't really bother me. I just need to know that the thing will PUSH the kind of snow we get up here in Maine.

We got 30" in one night this winter. I had snowbanks ten feet high. Granted - I live in a different spot now, and have a lot more room to put the snow.... but what are the limitations of these?

I would definitely get one of the big ones.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2001, 12:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

30" is a lot of snow for us to get in a year! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] i dont think you could go wrong with an atv for what you want, especially if you dont mind being out in the elements when pushing. there are a bunch of different big quads you could get to do the job, here is what i would recommend in the order i would recommend them:

1. Kawasaki Prairie 650
2. Yamaha Grizzly
3. Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
4. Suzuki QuadMaster 500
5. Honda Rubicon
6. Artic Cat 500

good luck and hope this helps.

Chris [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
<font color=blue>You dont quit riding because you get old, you get old because you quit riding!</font color=blue>
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2001, 12:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm probably going to sell the plow off my '84 Dodge 4x4 and put one on the front of my '00 Foreman 450S. We get some pretty decent snows in n.e. Ohio but probably nothing like you get in Maine. Several buddies of mine plow with their quads and for what we get snow wise they say there aren't any problems. I'm tired of everybody and their brother calling up to get their drive plowed and then "forgetting" to supply the poor plow operator with at least some gas money or a 12 pack.

Mudbooger

'84 W250... 360... 727... 5" of lift and a rear locker
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2001, 12:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've got a 99 yamaha grizzly with a plow that i use to clean our driveway with in eastern washington and have a blast do'in it in the winter,it,s my favorite (work) at the house..

WRW
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 08:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I live in Maine too and I plow with my 500 Sportsman, it works great in up to 6 to 8 inches of dry snow after that you border on beating your machine, wet snow forget it, if you have plowed a foot of wet heavy snow with a truck before you know what I mean, it does get cold and you do get wet if its still snowing when you plow, on the plus side it doesn't tear up your lawn when you get those early season storms before the ground freezes up, what I do is have a backup person with a truck plow me out if the snow is to heavy or I just don't feel like plowing. I also put a set of rear tire chains on my machine, what a difference that makes pushing snow!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode