Yamaha 250? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2001, 05:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yamaha 250?

Hey, you probably haven't ever heard of me cause I spend most of my forum time in the dirtbike section. But anyways my dad used to have a yamaha 250 3 wheeler and I thought it would be cool to get it runnin again cause I just saw a guy do wheelies on one easy. So I asked my dad if the engine blew (that's what I thought) and he said no and I was stunned he said that he just hasn't ran it for I'm guessin around 8 years and it's just been sittin in the shed for that long with flat tires. What would I have to do to get it running? I will do the normal stuff like clean the air filter and all of that stuff but is their any thing else a answer would help a lot.

~*Red Rida*~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2001, 05:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Yamaha 250?

I'll assume that besides the flat tires there is nothing else that is wrong on the bike at this point. This is the drill I do with new project bikes, it takes a few hours, but it is not something you need to be a master teck to do. when I started working on bikes i was only 16, and didn't have a clue about anything on a bike.
First step is exactly as you said, doing normal stuff like clean up the bike- air filter, oil and gas filters if they apply, drain and replace the oil (let the new oil soak into the clutch if it's a wet clutch for a few hours if nobody has turned it over in years, be sure to rotate them once in a while to soak them properly - the theory is that it can save your clutch - the oil probally settled on the bottom of the crankcase leaving part of the clutch disks out on the oil, drying them out over time).
New plug, new battery if needed (if it's used), drain any gas and use new, be sure to clean out the carb good - you may need to take it off the bike and take it apart to do it right. new coolant if it applies, lube the chassis and inspect it for anything it may need, see it the tires hold air, check for dryrot on them and any other rubber part, check the switches to make sure thay work, you may need to clean connectors and/or terminals in the electric system. Check brakes and clutch opperation, suspension, ect.....
Now, i think I got most of the drill down, this is when I try to start it, hopefully it runs good, but now is the time to see what else it needs, and how far you want to get into them - ride them as they are or to do a restoration.
If if the bike needs major repair it may not be worth it, but who knows, there are stories of people that pull their bike out from under a tarp after sitting for years and having them start the first kick, without going through all the stuff above.
good luck, and let us know how it turnes out.

ktmbk
83 ATC 250r (with many extra parts 4 sale), 83 ATC 185s, 89 zuki' 250sport.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2001, 06:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've always wanted to drive an ATC250r, they look sweet, and sound(from what people have said) sweet.

WARNING
The surgeon general has determined that motorcycle riding will cause: Swelling of the TESTICLES, shrinkage of the BRAIN, and severe trauma to the EGO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2001, 11:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

tell ya what joshin', if you want you can ride mine when I take it out of storage to race my friends 85 tecate 250, It isn't going to be as fast as the one in the pict you put up on the other post, but if I bolt my worked engine back into it it will probally go 65+ with the stock pipe on it (right now i have a stock 84 engine in it, my worked engine has so much more power it feels as if it is as fast as the 84 wound out, when just shifting into fifth, and it pulls fifth like its a regular gear, not the high gear.)

ktmbk
83 ATC 250r (with many extra parts 4 sale), 83 ATC 185s, 89 zuki' 250sport.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2001, 08:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thing sounds sweet.

WARNING
The surgeon general has determined that motorcycle riding will cause: Swelling of the TESTICLES, shrinkage of the BRAIN, and severe trauma to the EGO.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2001, 09:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Preston...is that 3-wheeler, a TRI-Z 250?? They look like they could hussle asss to.

WARNING
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2001, 10:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

if so the Tri-Z's were awesome. i have always loved and wanted a 2 smoke 3 wheeler. i say go for it Preston and keep us informed.

Chris [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
<font color=blue>You dont quit riding because you get old, you get old because you quit riding!</font color=blue>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode