Featherweight ISO sport bike advice - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
ATV Lounge Everything ATV - NOT defined in a specific forum below. Hang out with your friends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 02:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Featherweight ISO sport bike advice

I weigh 135 and am 5'10. I am going to buy a sport atv in june and need some advice. I plan on doing mostly trail riding w/lot's of jumping tight cornering and nasty hill climbs. I own a 300ex and am happy with it however it's time to upgrade. Now that the raptors have been out awhile, my question is... is it to big for me? Am I going to have a hard time on off camber areas or on hills so steep i have to lie down on the gas tank? I'm not worried about handling on flats, I can compensate for cornering and the like. I hear the 400ex is better at handling and i'm sure it's enough power for me but damn the raptor is enticing.

My main concern is tight nasty trails that have really technical terrain and/or scary cliffs and nearly strait up hill climbs. I have been able to tackle all of this on my 300ex (not without fearing for my life of course), and wonder if the raptor is just plain to much bike for my body style and riding preference.
Thank you for your unbiased, mature, non flaming input =)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 08:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Featherweight ISO sport bike advice

with your height you should be ok on a raptor, but its your weight that would concern me. you are a little on the light side for a 660cc beast, but it would be a blast. i have never rode a raptor (mainly because if i did i would want one, and i cant afford one) and there are several others on here that have them or have rode them and they will let you know what they think. the raptors have been said to be a little on the narrow side, but you can get a longer axle and a-arm extension to fix that. the raptor should do good on the trails and hillclimbs, but i dont know about cliffs [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] hope some of this helps in some way

Chris [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
<font color=blue>Life is short, RIDE HARD!</font color=blue>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 05:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I think you will fit fine, i'm also 5'10", but 190lbs. My previos bike was a y2k 400ex, and now I ride a Raptor. The 400ex has more than double the power of your 300ex, my wife had one of those. How much can you spend to compensate for your light weight is the real question. You can handle the 400ex as is, you might consider at least a swingarm extension for the Raptor. My fat a$$ can keep the front end down most times, but not always. The Raptor is fine for trail riding as is, that's what i do mostly. Good luck on your choice, both bikes are excellent choices.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2001, 10:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

you can never have to much bike that is if your riding skills are good enough to handle the bike

$hiT i am 5'9" 140lbs. and i ride a lt500r and i have rode raptors before too and i can handle them so go for it and get a raptor eveyone seems to be impressed with them but personally i think they could use some improvement

the 400ex is a very nice bike if i had to ride a four-stroke it would be a 400ex even though they are underpowered compared to the raptor or the ds650 i think their handling and the way the bike feels make it a blast to ride

may my zilla live forever

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2001, 12:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

'Zilla, remember, it is the first year the Raptor has been out, i am sure there are gonna be improvements, untill then, you can go on beating there asses in races, lol.

WARNING
The surgeon general has determined that motorcycle riding will cause: Swelling of the TESTICLES, shrinkage of the BRAIN, and severe trauma to the EGO.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2001, 05:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

still pondering...

Well I just got back from Nac's and the advice they gave me was to go for the 400ex. They just said it has a proven track record and is better for trail riding. They also said that you can pretty much take it out of the crate and get top 5 in a race. Props for the raptor were pretty much that it is a fast bike. (Both bikes were on the showroom floor... neither was for sale, just tricked out for magazine photos, so i think it's unbiased info)

I do agree w/you that if you have the skills you can make just about any of these bikes work for you, and that's a great point, but i'm already tackling things that my other friends either flat out refuse to try. Or the just wait until i've cleared before they do. I have also heard a bit about people cutting the raptor tires quite easily. And buying a new swing arm isnt that appealing to me.

Thanks for the great posts, much appreciated.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2001, 06:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: still pondering...

Good luck on your decision man.

WARNING
The surgeon general has determined that motorcycle riding will cause: Swelling of the TESTICLES, shrinkage of the BRAIN, and severe trauma to the EGO.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2001, 02:53 AM
raptor_rider

Re: still pondering...

with your weight I think you should go with the 400EX it has lots of power and with your little asss on it , you wouldnt be able to tell the diferance (power wise ) between a EX and a Raptor
with the type of riding your doing you EX is a little shorter so on the hill climbs it should work out better for you
GOOD LUCK

Ride hard, Lifes short
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2001, 05:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

yeah the 400ex is 2 inches lower to the ground, it's also a bit wider and longer. I've been hitting alot of message boards and people are complaining of cutting many tires, and one guy burnt his clutch and basket. Not to mention the 660r needs a longer swingarm and wider a arms. The deal is pretty sealed now i'm going for the 400 at 5,299. It's on sale till memorial day. Thanks again for all the help

post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2001, 06:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sweet deal, ride happy.

WARNING
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode